Nazareth, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
I'm in the midst of shocking my pool, and based on my CYA level of 60 am having to keep my chlorine level at 24. Is this level of chlorine safe for my Polaris 360?

Is there a particular level at which the chlorine could do any damage to the cleaner? I thought I saw in another post where somebody recommended not using the cleaner while adding bleach. I can understand perhaps not while I'm actually adding the liquid chlorine, but once it's been in a little while and mixed into the water, is it safe to use the cleaner?

Thanks,
Tim

I had the same question. I have developed an algae problem for the first time, but my pool (new to us) is directly under two oak trees so I have many acorns coming into the pool. Should I be using the manual vacuum through the skimmer basket to collect them instead of the Polaris while I go through this shock process for the algae?

Yup. Just so you know, the acorns will release the agent that colors them. It will leave a temporary stain if they sit too long. You must either use a leaf catcher on the hose or vacuum plate over the skimmer basket. I would hate to see you get an acorn clog in the skimmer line or a broken pump basket from the acorns coming into the pump at speed.

Scott

Thank you. Yes, I realize that the acorns stain very quickly as I have been fighting them all month. That's why I was so worried when I read here that I could not use the Polaris. I have been using the leaf catcher with a garden hose and the vacuum plate over the skimmer basket, but they are both painfully slow and not easy to use - the leaf catcher obviously adds a lot of water to the pool that I then have to drain out and the vac plate hose gets jammed with acorns, plus I lose prime easily when disconnecting to clear acorns from skimmer basket.

I have cleared my algae I think, but I am now waiting for the chlorine level to drop from 20 where it was for the shocking process. At what chlorine level is it safe for the Polaris to go in the water again?

Short immersions of a couple hours on an infrequent basis won't have much of an effect. Keeping it in the pool all the time during shocking processes is where the life of the hoses (internal ones too) and smaller plastics takes the hit.

If the FC level is on it's way down after the completion of your shocking process and the CYA level is not too high, under 15 ppm FC should be fine.

Acorn stains rarely last long.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.