what is this product?

thecanuck22

In The Industry
Jun 11, 2010
Vernon BC
Its called Spa Magic by Spa Life, touted to be a;
"multipurpose additive for spas; shock treatment, pH lock, alkalinity balance, calcium balance, clarifier and softener"
would it maybe be a blend of MPS, borax and a clarifier? Dang expensive whatever it is.

Yea, I am with Richard, its like someone mixing up a mystery brew and asking you to put it into your pool. No way. It goes against all the TFP principles of knowing what you are puting in your pool and tight testing. If you don't know what it is (cause they won't tell you) don't put it in.

Reading around the web I see that several people think this is primarily an enzyme product, though I don't see any indication of that myself.

I would rather know what I was putting into my poo/spa. There is also the problem that any product with seven active ingredients is sure to have them in the wrong proportions more often than not.

You could probably try to determine what each "propietary" ingredient is....there's only so many chemicals that the industry uses in pools. When reading through some of the "avoid this" "reacts with this" and "may produce this", I suspect that one ingredient is copper sulfate and another is baking soda. If you really wanted to figure it all out, get MSDS for common pool chemicals and do a match up.......as a teacher I may give this as a challenge to my chemistry students......

yeah i was thinking if i was really that ambitious i would have to match up the warnings with other known product warnings, just not that ambitious.....
I agree that you should always know what you are putting in your pool/spa, however i do have product to sell and was hoping to at least find out what it was. My employer has a whole bunch of this stuff and i have to know what i am selling before i can honestly sell it. I have to be sold first.
On a side note, this is his first year in business and his supplier 'stocked' his shelves for him, there are about 15 6kg buckets of 'Cal' sitting here, 95% of pools here are Vinyl Lined........so if its any consolation PS owners get sold Crud they dont need too.....

thecanuck22 said:
so if its any consolation PS owners get sold **** they dont need too.....

Solution is to learn as much as you can so you can make an informed decision. After speaking with you on other topics, I must say it is a shame your employer didn't use your expertise before stocking up...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.