LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
West Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am so glad I found this site. We are new pool owners and need some help. We have recently had a lot of rain and have had issues with mustard algae. The algae is gone, for now. We have an inground, plaster, approx. 23,000 gallon pool with a spill over spa. I just received my FAS-DPD kit today and these are my numbers:

PH 7.4
TA 80
CH 425
FC 0.5
CC 1
CYA 55

We are in the desert southwest with a lot of sun and hard water. I have been using what came with the pool for chemicals, but prefer to use the BBB method.

Thank you all in advance for any help. I sure can use it.

Vonda

Welcome to TFP!

With CC of 1 you should shock the pool. With a CYA of 55 that means bringing FC up to 17 and holding it there by retesting and adding more chlorine to bring it back up to 17 reguarly until your CC reading is zero. Once you have gotten rid of the CC, you should maintain FC so it never goes below 4, aim a little higher to give youself some margin.

Other than that your numbers are looking fairly good.

Hi Vonda...welcome to the site.

You've got some elevated CC levels so you'll want to shock your pool (Check this post for newbie info on shocking). It can be difficult to maintain chlorine levels during periods of heavy rains. During these times (of heavy rains) I can't think of any reason not to add additional chlorine ahead of the rain, instead of taking a chance that it runs down to zero. But we'll see what the more experienced have to say about this??? I would think you'll want to start shocking as soon as possible to ensure the algae doesn't have a chance to come back.

good luck!
dan

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. I added one bag of shock and 4 gallons of bleach last night (I hope it's ok to mix them). I ran the pump through the night and today my readings are:

FC - 13.5
CC - 0

PH - 7.6

I'm not sure how much more shock to add. Right now all I have are the bags from the pool store. Should I test the other numbers as well?

Thank you again,

Vonda

Buggs - ask your friend why her parents named her Vonda?

Numbers look like you probably don't have to shock again. How does your water look?

If your water is clear, and you've already tested for 0 CC's, the best thing to do next is Test your FC tonight after the Sun is off the pool and then test again tomorrow morning. If you lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, you're all set. If you drop more than that, you need to shock again.

Congratulations! The primary goal was to get CC down to zero, which you have done. At this point you can let the FC drift down and only add more chlorine to keep it above 4.

My Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, is a handy way to figure out how much chlorine to add to reach a target FC level.

If you want to be really through you can measure the FC level this evening after sunset and then test it again tomorrow as early in the morning as possible and see if you are losing any FC overnight. I doubt there will be any loss, but if there is you should bring it back up to shock level and hold it there until there isn't any chlorine loss overnight.

I'd back away from using the pool store shock - your CYA is already pretty high. Save it for later, if your CYA gets low.

I'll ask her about her name. I take it there is a special meaning to the name? I know my friends mother is from England, so I just figured it must have been a common name there or a family name.

Thank you all again. My water looks crystal blue. I will check everything in the morning. I have ordered the Lamotte Borate test strips and plan on completely changing over to the BBB.

Vonda

Buggs - I was named after Miss America 1965 - Vonda Kay VanDyke. She was crowned September 13, 1964. She is originally from Michigan and was Miss Arizona. I was born in October of 1964 and my maiden last name was quite similar, so my dad thought they would be great names.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After a night of numerous teenage girls in the pool and a late night downpour, here are my numbers:

FC - 10.5
CC - 0
OH - 7.4
CH - 425
TA - 90
CYA - 70

I don't know why the CYA went up. I tested twice to be sure. What do I do now?

Vonda

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.