SWG and QUAD DE compatible?

fozzir

Nov 17, 2009
San Diego
I just noticed that my Pentair DE Filter QUAD 60 says for "Fresh Water Only". This was put in by our installer (last summer with new pool) with our Intellichlor IC40. Is this an issue? Should I have the filter swapped out with one that is compatible? Could this damage the SWG?

you probably need to ask the manufacturer why.

it might have some parts inside it which corrode quickly.

it might be that the installer tried to save a bit of money, not caring about how long it will last, or it might be that the manufacturer is looking for an easy way to get out of warranty but the unit will work fine in salt water.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

I'm almost positive what they mean is it is not to be used in say, a salt water aquarium situation (a very large aquarium at that), or salt water pond, or a pool that is fed by actual sea water, albeit rare. Many, many Quads are in use in pools now, and more and more people are using SWGs. I would venture to guess that a majority of the Quads are being installed in new pool builds where more and more builders are installing SWGs. The salt in an SWG pool is only a fraction of that in actual sea water. Shoot, I'll bet my non SWG pool has enough salt from bleach=chlorine additions to be about 1/4 to 1/3 of what many SWGs require to operate properly. I have a Quad 80.

It's been a very long time since I've had aquariums, and mine were all fresh water, but I'll bet there are many differences between equipment for salt water vs fresh water aquariums.

There was a post, not long ago, about salt water in pools compared to sea water. I'll see if I can locate the link.

Edit - Couple of Links

is-a-salt-water-pool-same-as-sea-water-t25343.html

seawater-pools-t9088.html

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.