Pentair "Clear-pro Technology", Sand Filter

geri

Sep 3, 2009
San Rafael California
Does anyone have any direct knowledge of or experience with the Pentair "Clear-pro Technology"?

I am in the market for a new sand filter. Some of the Pentair sand filters are equipped with what they call "Clear-pro Technology". These models cost 15-20% more than their standard counterparts depending on where you shop. Some places list the various models at the same price The only difference is that the center tube and laterals are made from a porous material. This is how the Pentair ad copy describes the filter.

"Traditional sand filters can only remove particles in the 50-100 micron range, but ClearPro technology^® removes particles up to five times smaller, well below what your eye can detect. When combined with our popular Tagelus^® sand filter, your pool will achieve 60% cleaner water than with other sand filters. "

"The secret is a proprietary component inside the filter—an exclusive porous tube water must pass through before re-entering your pool. It creates a final barrier to the small
particles sand cannot stop, including the finest dust particles, algae, and pollens. The result is a level of water clarity never before possible. In fact, Tagelus with ClearPro Technology achieves the same water clarity as legendary diatomaceous earth (D.E.) filters.

I have talked with several pool store people and I intend to talk to at least a couple more. So far nobody around here knows anything about this filter. The big push here is for cartridge filters so nobody knows much else.

My concern is that as the filter ages the tubes will become impacted and resist back flushing. Pentair customer service says absolutely not, and there is no additional back flushing necessary. They also maintain that the filter effectiveness does indeed approach DE. These filters have only been on the market for a little over a year so I'm thinking time will tell. Pentair suggested to me that at some point they may be using these tubes on all their sand filters if they can stay competitive on price. It seems to me that even if these tubes do eventually "stop up", say in 3-5 years, I could replace them with either new ones or standard ones.

Any experience or thoughtful suggestions? (Please no dismissive comments about mfg. hype, etc.)

I too am interested in hearing about how this actually performs. I've had a look at one here from Pentair called the Triton 2. It's just like a normal sand filter but the spider legs do not have holes. I wonder if they get blocked up? I actually like the idea of one of these filled with Zeolite.

We haven't heard from anyone who owns one yet, so it is difficult to say. My assumption is that if it was really as good as they say we would have heard that by now, but there is no way of being sure till more information comes in. Hopefully someone who has one will speak up.

Yes, Triton 2 is another of the Pentair filters available with "Clear-pro". The Triton 2 model is side plumbed. The "Tagelus" is top valve, as is the "Sand Dollar", also with "Clear-pro". The only significant difference between the Tagelus and the Sand Dollar is that the Tagelus has a fiberglass tank and the Sand Dollar is blow-molded plastic. The Sand Dollar also has a slightly taller form factor and a size range between that of the Tagelus.

My friend Brice Johnson who works as an engineer with Pentair says that clear-pro is the wave of the future if they can control the cost. He believes it provides DE quality filtration and the laterals are virtually bulletproof.

I have begun some preliminary talking with Pentair to see about stocking these clear pro laterals as conversions on a few, limited models. Cost and availability are a hindrance but perhaps not insurmountable. I'll know more in the future but I expect it to be well into the Fall.

My boss (VP of engineering for Pentair Water Pool and Spa) has one on his pool, if that tells you anything. It kills me to see sales not being as good for these filters as they should be as we really have a unique technology in this product. Our sales force hasn't pushed this product very hard, but believe me, it is a great product. Its currently offered in a Tagelus 60, Triton II 60, and Sand Dollar 80 configuration. DE will probably still provide you better clarity, but not by enough to justify the hassle of DE in my mind. Clearpro is the ultimate in the clarity/convenience balance, and is the only true 2-stage filtration in the market.

When I looked at the new filter elements they reminded me of the pneumatic silencers we used on our automated assembly machines, nothing more but naturally costing more because they are for swimming pools. I would like to know why they won't clog as anything with holes clogs We used to get clogging from lubricating oil from the pneumatics and I wouldn't fancy having to strip down the filter on a regular basis.

They will clog eventually, yes, then they will backwash, and 99%+ of the particles will backwash back out. Repeat many many times over the life of the filter. Eventually, yes, they will clog with particles that will not backwash out, its just a question of time. Our testing shows that the time that it takes for them to clog is longer than the time it takes for a conventional sand lateral to wear down to the point that it bypasses sand though so the service interval is actually GREATER than a conventional lateral.

Thank you Brice,

Do you know how much they have an effect on pump pressure, what sort of restriction do they cause? the material looks very similar to pneumatic silencers as I said earlier and just passing exhausted air through those they used to restrict the speed of the machines somewhat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would also be interesting if these could be used with another type of filter, ie if the thread on the laterals is the same. I'd love to fit these to my existing filter but I couldn't justify getting rid of a whole perfectly working filter.

duraleigh said:
Teapot,

Why don't you order a set and we can get a report from you?

As the post above says I would try the filters but cannot justify buying another filter just for that. I am sure Pentair have all the information, with fine filtration there is usually a price to pay in this case is it increased power consumption or reduced turnover rates.
I do spend a reasonable budget on new ideas to test them each year some work some don't.
As I said before the clear pro filters look just like pneumatic silencers why not fit the new filter laterals to your existing filter. They will have either NPT or BSP threads. Take a look at the link and you will see a few laterals (pneumatic silencers).

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1259&bih=594

Or maybe something like this:

Schalldaempfer_2452u_150px.jpg

But there are already superior filter mediums around than sand which although used by millions it can easily be bettered, is this not going against TFP low cost pool ownership, lots of people are very happy with sand do we need it?

The price of a Triton 2 at my local pool supplier is around 500€ with all my discounts which is comparable to a standard good quality filter here. I think this is certainly a great idea if it works as advertised, higher quality filtration with zero cost once the laterals/ filter have been bought. I'd say this is no worse than buying a SWG rather than using bleach.

BriceJohnson said:
They will clog eventually, yes, then they will backwash, and 99%+ of the particles will backwash back out. Repeat many many times over the life of the filter. Eventually, yes, they will clog with particles that will not backwash out, its just a question of time. Our testing shows that the time that it takes for them to clog is longer than the time it takes for a conventional sand lateral to wear down to the point that it bypasses sand though so the service interval is actually GREATER than a conventional lateral.

I had a talk today with a "senior tech" person today at Pentair and heard essentially the same thing as quoted above.

This person also said that the difference in dynamic head between the std filter and the clear pro is "virtually indiscernible". He advised that for design purposes I should consider the dynamic head for the Tagelus model with valve as 11 feet. This sounds pretty good to me.

I also asked about the interchangeability of laterals between the standard models and the clear pro. The tech said that changing between the two is quite easy but requires a few more parts than just the laterals. Also at present the only size "clear pro" laterals that are available are those that fit the corresponding regular models. So unless you have the Tagelus60, Triton 60, or Sand Dollar 80 you are out of luck for the time being.

So it looks like I am going to order one of these.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. I actually have a top valve filter I "rebuilt" using the whole spider assembly from another filter and a new vertical 50mm pipe to the multiport valve. If the laterals could be bought with (what I call) the spider I reckon I could get this into my filter which is HUGE, well around 36" at the base.
I've been researching Zeolite and UV and this does actually seem like a technology worth investing in at face value, but as they say the proof is in the pudding.

Whilst I hope the system works, if you look at a standard lateral the gaps for water to pass are quite large which should allow a resonable passage of water (sadly also dirt) so making a fine filter must mean trying to push water molecules through it will require more work from the pump motor hence more electricity and the flow rate must be lower so turnover rates must be longer, these are just the physical laws.

Interested in why you have rejected zeolites (U.V. I can understand)

Funnily enough, it was after reading posts here. The fact that it's ability to remove chloromines seems questionable, and I'm not interested in having to "regenerate" every now and again. Also, the claimed improved filtration due to molecules having to go through the Zeolite ring structure rather than around it seem highly improbable. And then there's cost, I'd have to order a pallet from Barcelona costing around $300. And finally the majority of people who have used it and posted about it didn't notice much of a difference.
I do take your point regarding the pressure losses so I imagine a solution to this is either an oversized filter or one with more laterals if that was possible.

These laterals are a "quarter turn" design, not threaded, and as such will only work with Pentair filters.

teapot, its not quite that simple. It depends both on the path size for the particles, as well as the NUMBER of paths. Sure, the size of the paths is smaller in the ClearPro, but the open area is actually significantly greater b/c you are no longer restricted to just the slots for water to pass through, The pores are evenly distributed accross the entire area of the lateral.

BriceJohnson said:
These laterals are a "quarter turn" design, not threaded, and as such will only work with Pentair filters.

teapot, its not quite that simple. It depends both on the path size for the particles, as well as the NUMBER of paths. Sure, the size of the paths is smaller in the ClearPro, but the open area is actually significantly greater b/c you are no longer restricted to just the slots for water to pass through, The pores are evenly distributed accross the entire area of the lateral.
Thanks Brice, that does through some light on the subject.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.