TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We had our pool-owning neighbors over for a cookout the other night. The mom and daughter have been here before and commented on our "glittery" water, but this was the first time for the dad. After we had eaten and polished off a few beers by the pool, he asked me about my filter. I told him it was a Hayward S244T sand filter.

He said he had the same filter, but something must not be set up right because his water is always a little cloudy. I didn't push it, but told him it was probably water chemistry, and that there's a lot more to it than chlorine and pH. He looked at my Liquidator like it was a moonshine still. I didn't even bother getting out the TF-100.

He's pretty well decided that he needs to change the sand in his filter or try a different clarifier. :hammer: Maybe it will sink in one of these days.

I wish I lived where there were more pools. I'm not sure whether I'd open a store and fleece people who won't learn, or start a pool service company and use the TFP method to corner the market. :)

I've had other pool owners at our place, and they all seem to say "How do you get your water so blue?" I just grin, and say it must be the blue liner, because my water is colorless.
Of course when I actually start to tell them how I manage the pool, thier eyes get as cloudy as thier pool water... so I just give them another beer.

JohnT said:
I wish I lived where there were more pools. I'm not sure whether I'd open a store and fleece people who won't learn, or start a pool service company and use the TFP method to corner the market. :)
That's why I don't bash pool stores much. If the owners can make a little money for themselves selling whatever, I say good for them. And it's good for the overall economy as well.

My brother-in-law and I have joked we should retire from our current professions and open a pool business - he would be the chief mechanic/electrician and I, the chief chemist. Between the two of us, we keep the family pool (inherited - now owned by 5 households and 23 years old) humming and in top condition on a shoe-string budget.

Hey JohnT, want to join our company? There's a dearth of good pool stores in Bloomington, but there are more and more pools in B-town and surrounding boondocks! :idea:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.