Pumps, pumps, pumps... design questions

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi all,

I am in the design phase of an owner-contractor build.

I am building a 20X30 IG gunite pool with an included (in that dimension) spa 9X9. I will also have 3 deck jets.

My questions are regarding pumps.

Between the spa and tanning shelf and steps, the actual deepwater pool will be 20X20, so I figured a 3/4 hp pump will be fine for circulation/filtration.

However, since I have the spa, I am going to include a larger separate pump to handle the spa jetting and such. Do I want to just use a booster pump to handle the jets or do I want to go with a variable speed pump like the VS or VF. Cost is not so much an issue, I just want to get it right. I have thoughts like "well we are not going to have the deck jets on unless we are in the pool or entertaining, so I dont want to pay to run a larger pump all that time...."

Recommendations? Whats your idea of the "smart" way to do it?

I will have automation to handle valving and pump on/off if that impacts decisions.

Oh, clarification I just re-read my post.

Do I want to use a booster pump to handle the DECK jets.

I plan to have a separate pump to handle the spa, with drain and returns/jets in the spa so its like a separate spa (though I will have a "pool return" in the spa to keep overall circulation of water happening.

Circulation pump (for pool or spa, variable speed), jet booster pump for jets and water feature pump for deck jets. This configuration allows you to use anything you want at any given time.

Congrats for thinking it through and doing it right :goodjob: :cheers:

It is really nice to have a variable speed pump for the spa jets. That lets you dial in exactly the amount of jet action you want. The electrical savings are minimal, since you have to run on a fairly high speed in spa mode, and most of the electrical savings come from running at a lower speed, but the adjustable jet strength feature is very cool.

So... How about a 3/4 Hp (2 sp?) for general circulation, a vs for spa, and a booster for jets? Couple that with some actuated valves that open when the booster comes on for the deck jets?

Edit.

And maybe an actuated valve turning off the pool circulation return in the spa when the spa pump comes on to minimize cold water from pool flowing into heated spa? Boy this gets complicated quick....

How to valve the heater so I can choose to heat spa only or both pool and spa... Hmmm.

Lershac said:
So... How about a 3/4 Hp (2 sp?) for general circulation, a vs for spa, and a booster for jets? Couple that with some actuated valves that open when the booster comes on for the deck jets?

Edit.

And maybe an actuated valve turning off the pool circulation return in the spa when the spa pump comes on to minimize cold water from pool flowing into heated spa? Boy this gets complicated quick....

How to valve the heater so I can choose to heat spa only or both pool and spa... Hmmm.

The VS would only operate the jets; the circulation pump would be the one to send the water through the heater. The output line from the heater would then go to an actuated valve which would send the water to the pool, spa, or both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.