Need a Skimmer for pool with a sweeper. only one return.

Aug 3, 2010
San Diego
I have been reading and researching all day to try to figure out a solution to my problem of no skimming.

I have one return skimmer. I bought a poolvergnuegen sweeper that is AWESOME. works great! BUT now I don't have a skimmer. The combination of the trees around my pool and my dogs in it I end up with a LOT of floating debris. So everyday I am skimming the pool with the net. :rant:

I saw the pentair vac mate at the pool store and thought that was the ticket but have read that most people don't like the vac-mate.

Also the Polaris LCS Leaf Canister & Skimmer looked great but it is expensive and discontinued. (I have found a few sites that still have them in stock)

Some people like the pool devil or pool skim and that might work but I only have two returns in my pool and as it is right now i have to valve most of my return to the spill over jacuzzi so i don't push the hose for the sweeper in to the deep end causing the sweeper to stay in the deep end. Also the returns are not threaded. there is one return that is threaded but for some reason it was plugged some time before I got the house in October. It is plugged with some sort of rubberized putty or caulking. :hammer:

Any Ideas...

a43e2f0f.jpg

cc4b3f63.jpg

Max-e-glass by stay rite (leaking, looking for a Intelliflo VS)
f5a004a7.jpg

FNS Plus
61d91644.jpg

Hayward leaf canister
71181b7d.jpg

poolvergnuegen
2e48e4f7.jpg

Y

There are only a few things you can do with the setup you describe.

I think you mean "how do I skim and vac at the same time"- and I think the answer is you dont without an LCS which is awesome- or a vac mate (which is junk)

(Please let me know who had a a polaris LCS left in stock- I clumsily broke mine and its about the best single accessory a suction for a lone suction side cleaner- Ill buy 2 of them immediately.)

Without return threads you cant plumb in a pool skim which would be great.

You do have an existing skimmer right? thats where you are plugging in the pool cleaner - is it not placed correctly ie prevailing winds blow away from it?

About the best cleaning automation you can do with what you have at the moment would be to add a dragonfly skimmer to your setup and commit to a 24x7 pump run. Even then you will be hooking a bottom cleaner up at least once a week.

To skim and vac without a second line you will need a robotic type setup. There are many reviews on them here.

Uncle Dave

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 260
poolpunisher said:
Why not use a poolskim???
http://www.poolskimusa.com/

I want to have this setup in my pool using the "Sweeper you have, however my only concern is the floating chlorine tablet dispenser getting stuck in the pool skim.

I did not reccomend because his returns are not threaded.

I have a poolskim as well and would have volunteered it, it will affect flow however- and with a single return may cause issues even if he could fit it on somehow.

uncle Dave

I am confused....

Sorry, I want to get a pool cleaner like he has with the pool skim, however I have 2 lines one for the main drain and one for the skimmer line. plus my pool has 3 returns into the pool. I was gonna use one of them for the pool skim, and use the pool cleaner in the skimmer.

Is this not ok?

poolpunisher said:
I am confused....

Sorry, I want to get a pool cleaner like he has with the pool skim, however I have 2 lines one for the main drain and one for the skimmer line. plus my pool has 3 returns into the pool. I was gonna use one of them for the pool skim, and use the pool cleaner in the skimmer.

Is this not ok?

that will be fine- one of the best setups you can use.

Uncle Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.