cracked sand filter tank

May 30, 2010
After two failed attempts to repair a crack in the seam of my sand filter, I am turning to the pros! What I have is a plastic tank (150 lbs) sand filter with about a 3/8 split in the seam. I'v tried 2 part epoxy, and quick steel on both the inside and outside of the tank and both have failed within seconds of turning on the pump, both just peel (epoxy) and break (quick steel) off the plastic very easily like its not adhering to the plastic (yes i sanded it first). So... does any one have any idea of a way to fix this? I am leaning towards fiberglass, but not too sure if it will stick to the plastic ? what i really need is something that chemically bounds too the plastic, if such a products exists. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Try sticking a piece of PVC on the inside with a Modified Silane Polymer. We call them pool plasters :-D The plastic will spread the load to the surrounding area of the tank and hold together your glue.

wow, i haven't thought about the leaving the pump on while no ones home part... i guess that changes things a bit. i don't think i need any thing else to worry about while away so i guess its time to go shopping for a new sand filter :cry: thank you everyone for the help, you guys just saved me a big headache in the future i think

Should you decide to go with a new filter, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 250lb sand filter. it will cut down on backwashing and improve your flow rate :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Should you decide to go with a new filter, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 250lb sand filter. it will cut down on backwashing and improve your flow rate :goodjob:

I'm more than likely going to do that but I'm also contemplating going with a cartridge filter instead of sand ? I'm still in the research stage so i am definitely open to opinions at this point...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.