Bargain Salt

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
Stopped at the local Menards to get some salt for the pool today! (Menards is another big-box hardware store for those not around here.) Found some "99.8% Pure Salt" coursely ground, no additives, etc etc etc... It was $3.98 for 50 pound bags. Sounded like a good deal!

Dumped it in the pool, started to spread it around, and discovered what the other .2% was!

pool136.jpg

There's still a few stones in the pool, gonna have to go diving for them...

Ahh well, shoulda stuck with a name brand! :)

Just another excuse to jump in the pool!

I put in 150 pounds. I know the start level probably wasn't at zero, and I know I should've checked the salt level before dumping it in, but I'm going to be draining it below the return in a few weeks when I close. Theoretically if it was at zero, I should only be around 1700 now, minus the rocks. :shock:

I'm planning on putting in a SWCG next year. So I should be at an ok level to deal with next spring. Looks like I may be gone a few weeks at a time next year. Trying to get into the national disaster medical assistance team as a "Geek" I have no official medical licenses of any sort, but they need a computer/communications geek. Plus it probably doesn't hurt to know the local commander. Gotta do something about the pool while I'm gone! Either swcg or liquidator... Haven't made up my mind yet.

Ok, back to the rocky pool!

Turns out there was only one more rock in the pool. The other rocks I saw were white and vanished. So I grabbed one of the white rocks you see in the picture and squished it between my fingers... It was salt. The black ones are definitely rocks though. So it's not as bad as I thought it was, and the water definitely feels nicer now!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I recently installed an SWG in my pool. I had to add about 16 bags to get it started. I bought 8 bags of Diamond brand (all the store had) than saw that Home Cheapo had Morton on sale .. so I bought a bunch of those. Dumped the Diamond brand in. It dissolved nicely with not a hint of stones. Dumped about 4 bags of the Morton brand in and noticed a lot of sand/small stones in the pool. Took a dip and cleaned it up. Than I took all the remaining bags and returned them to Home Depot. Waited a couple of days for the Diamond brand to come in at the store where I got the original 8 bags. Got the Diamond brand and all was clean. I will only buy Diamond brand from now on! I especially recommend it for those who are just prepping for a new SWG and will be dumping many bags in.

Another plus is that Diamond has a tear apart corner, so that you don't need a knife to open it and it is easy to pour out.

richmgreen said:
<snip!> Got the Diamond brand and all was clean. I will only buy Diamond brand from now on! I especially recommend it for those who are just prepping for a new SWG and will be dumping many bags in.

Another plus is that Diamond has a tear apart corner, so that you don't need a knife to open it and it is easy to pour out.

Maybe this is why it caught me off guard when I found rocks. I've only ever bought diamond brand for my water softener. Never seen one rock! ...and of course that tear corner is awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And here I come to say that the 40 lb bag of Diamond coarse salt that I added to my pool the other day added a few black, tiny pebbles :p

No biggie - I just vacuumed them up and they ended up in the skimmer sock. However, I cut the tip of my thumb on a piece of sharp salt and I have to tell you that my thumb has been in agony for the past few days . . I've soaked it and put antibiotic on it and nothing would stop the pain. It's finally a bit better today :goodjob:

Jan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.