Check Valve Usage

jparr

Jun 12, 2010
I am replumbing my equipment pad, and had planned on placing a check valve before the pump. On occasion when pumping my DE filter, DE will flush back in to the pump basket. The only check valves I was able to find were spring loaded, solid body. Should I use these, or just skip the check valve altogether? The pump basket cover will be just about 1/2" lower than the level of the pool water.

See if you can find the Jandy Swing Check Valves. They have the same footprint as all the other Jandy valves, but have a clear top so you can see the check valve portion when it is flowing.

I like to take the springs out and let the valve close by water pressure, as opposed to having them have to fight the spring to open.

If I understand your application, I would consider simply installing a shut-off valve. Cheaper than the check valve and more reliable....check valves are always a potential problem asource and shut-off valves seldom are.

C'mon guys! :roll:

The only check valve you need to install is the one IN the filter!

In the pipe that comes from the pump into the bottom of the filter there is a flapper valve - yours is probably missing. The part # is ECX- 407781. It's accessible without opening up the filter tank and is quick and easy to do :)

If you want to tackle this yourself, I'll help walk you through it (** however, I'm in the midst of moving and can't guarantee a 1 day answer - but since I've now told you what the problem is, I'm sure someone else will step up, should I fail to respond in a timely manner :cool: )

I think they cost ~ $10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.