Stains versus Mustard

macgas

Jul 29, 2010
Houston,TX
My pool is crystal clear and the overnight FC does not change. All drop test are normal except CH is 360

In the deep end I see a couple of spots that are brownish/yellow. These spots do not change when I brush them with a wire brush and do not appear to be growing or changing.

How do I differentiate between stains or MA? If stained how do I get rid of them?

Agree with PoolGuyNJ in that we need to see the test numbers.

Are the spots in question raised? Any chance that they could be metal stains?

OK here are the results. FC 7.5 put in 2 quarts at 4pm. CC 0.5 pH 7.5 T/A 130 CH 320 CYA 50 Temp 91 degrees

The spots don't appear to be raised. I haven't used any copper based algaecides but I am not aware of metal in my water but I guess they could be metal. How can I tell?

Hold a Vitamin C Tablet on the stains. If they are iron, they will fade rather quickly. If they are copper, they may change in appearance or darken...

A trichlor tablet held on the stain, if it fades, would mean the staining is organic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.