Water from DE Filter

AzWildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
Texas
I have a Hayward DE filter. When the pump goes off I can hear water leaving the filter. When I start it up again there is quite a bit of air blown into the pool before water fills up the filter and am back to "normal". This morning I took the strainer basket top off and saw water coming from the filter and back through the strainer toward the pool with the water in the basket being "DE cloudy". Thoughts ? Multiport - spider gasket ?

Thoughts ? Multiport - spider gasket ?
Almost surely a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the skimmer and the pump body, air is being sucked into the system. The water flows backwards out of the filter because you have "pressurized" the filter with the air.

Most common causes are at the pump strainer basket and any unions/joints you may have on the suction side.

Duraleigh is correct, you've probably just got a suction side leak somewhere

I hate to yell, but ALWAYS OPEN THE MANUAL AIR RELIEF WHEN YOU START THE PUMP UP. This is one thing that really bugs me about our competitors products, their external air reliefs are poorly marked, and the instructions don't really clearly mention that they need to be used, but they do. If you don't do this, there is a chance you could really hurt yourself.

Which type of filter do you have? If it's an EC ## the flapper backflow prevention valve, in the input pipe to the filter from the pump, is shot or missing. Otherwise, listen to Dave and our new friend Brice.

Welcome to TFP Brice!! (hate to ask a favor right after welcoming you here :oops: but could you see if you can't help with the part needed in this post? Thanks and it's great to see industry guys here :goodjob: :cheers: )

BriceJohnson said:
... ALWAYS OPEN THE MANUAL AIR RELIEF WHEN YOU START THE PUMP UP...

Brice, I never knew this :shock: . Thanks for shouting...I might have missed it.

I've also just noticed DE in my pump skimmer area and figured the non-return valve between the pump and filter was shot. I was just hoping to see the season through before replacing it but I guess if water backs up AND if I had a discharge side air leak (I don't but anything could change), that could be a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.