Evaporation - How much is too much?

riverheightsnancy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2007
Flemington, NJ
Wasn't sure where to put this post...

Is there any method for determining how much evaporation in 1 day is due to the environment or a small leak? In other words, is there a threshold amount that would lean towards a leak?

I have a painted concrete pool and I am putting top off water in almost everyday. I do have several surface cracks in the pool, they never seemed to be a problem before (we are needing a restoration, but were waiting for a better economic climate!). This is the first year in the last 4 that I am putting in water practically everyday. To the naked eye, it looks like I am losing at least 1 -2 inches within 24 hours. I will say that we have had a smoking hot summer in NJ this year, so I am uncertain if I am just paranoid. There are no other tell tale signs of a leak: no dirt coming into the filter or pool (indicating a broken line), and no obvious wet spots in the yard (indicating a leak near the surface or outer perimeter of the walls). My pool has been the most balanced this year and the water is clear. Would love some feedback from all the "pros" on this forum.

I agree; 1 or 2 inches definitely means a leak. The easiest thing to check is to make sure you're not losing water out your backwash line; a bad spider gasket can do that. If you're concerned about the surface cracks, swim down there and squirt some dye, and see if it gets sucked into the crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.