Newbie with installation questions

LauleaHere&There

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Rural Moloka'i, Hawai'i
Greetings~
I'm a brand new pool owner on my own in the wilds of rural Hawai'i. I assembled and plumbed it myself, after having scoured forums like this one for info. I could really use some patient guidance on a couple of questions.

Specifics: Above ground pool. 3,500 gal. 12'round, 52" deep. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. (whatever that means) SWG Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Issues:
  • Pressure gauge on the multi-port never moves, even though I'm getting circulation. No obvious hissing or bubbling that would indicate an air leak.

Pump seems to be working, I primed it as directed and I can hear water moving and can see water moving at the return port. It it common for the return to "burp" bubbles periodically?

Per instructions, I backwashed the Zeo in the filter before circulating water through the pool. I think I'm seeing sediment, though--white cloudiness comes out of the return when I start the pump that doesn't want to clear up. I don't think it is a chemical or biological issue, but I could be wrong. All levels are testing within normal ranges on the little colored test strips. At the moment, all I have added is pool salt.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Welcome to TFP!

The white cloudiness coming out of the filter is most likely crushed Zeo media. If you backwash long enough you can eventually get rid of all of it.

Getting a little air out of the returns for the first little while is fairly common on a new install, but it should stop after not too long. Did you bleed the air out of the filter? Do you see any air in the pump strainer basket?

On the filter pressure, the gauge might just be broken (they aren't very reliable), or you might be failing to get the pump fully primed.

Thanks, Jason. I backwashed again; definitely didn't do it enough the first time. Will the residue that is in the pool now eventually filter out?

Not sure how to bleed air out of the filter. I haven't seen a valve for that. There seems to be only one outlet besides the multi-port settings--that's where I put the pressure gauge.

About the pump: There is no valve on the pump that I can see. Only the see-thru twist-lock cover at the top and what looks like a drain port at the bottom. Even if I fill the basket area with water and lock the top, the pump seems to drain faster than the intake can fill it. The skimmer eventually sucks some air. Maybe I haven't filled the pool enough?--the waterline is 1/3 of the way up the skimmer opening, but not over the door flap, which impedes the skimmer filling somewhat. I'm a little concerned about overfilling--the SWG is almost completely submerged as it is.

Thanks again for your patience.

Sounds like your getting a vortex in the skimmer, not enough water. Water level should be half way up the skimmer. The pump gets air and looses prime, water fills the skimmer and the pump primes again. This cycle will continue until you raise the water level.

Wow. OK, I topped up the water levels, and for good measure, propped the skimmer door open with a chopstick. Reprimed everything and turned on the pump. Holy cow! Water is now shooting out of the return and the pressure gauge seems to be holding at around 13.

Does that sound right to you guys?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.