Water Temp

Apr 28, 2008
Arkansas
Didn't know where to put this and apologize if in wrong spot. It's been really hot here the past month and pool water is about to get to the to warm to enjoy temp. I have run the pump continuously for the past 2 months and only occasionally turn on the pump to the water feature. The ? I have is can I turn off the filter pump after dark and run the pump on the water feature until daylight and get the temp down without causing water balance problems?

This is as good a spot as any.

You can cool the pool that way, though how effectively it cools depends on what kind of water feature you have. You might also cause the PH to go up, or you might not, depending on a couple of things, (mostly your TA level).

Thanks for the replies. The water feature stands along the side of the pool and and pulls water from the two drains plumbed in the bottom and rises about 4 foot above the surface dropping back into the pool. Don' t know the turnover rate but assume it's pretty high. The current test results are as follows;
Fc - 5
Cc - 0
Tc - 5
Ph - 7.4
Ta - 80
Cya - 30
Main concern was not running the filter that long.

You do need to run the filter pump some of the time, but with a 1 HP pump you probably only need to run it 6 to 8 hours a day, certainly not 24 hours a day.

By the by, the waterfall will cool things more if run during the day, though it will also cool when run at night. Cooling depends on evaporation, which is faster during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.