3rd Time Draining My Pool This Summer!!!!

Aug 3, 2010
Algae (green) keeps overcoming my pool. New to this site and I'm draining my pool for the 3rd time. Found it's cheaper to do that then clean it out (70.00) than what I would estimate the couple of 100.00 dollars in chemicals.

I've got a security light in the back corner of my yard, and I'm wondering if the bugs it draws to the pool is effecting my always rising Ph levels. I can adjust my PH one day and it's fine, and the next, it's sky high again.

As for shock, I went through three bags last week (one each day) before losing the pool, and the next day there was not Chlorine present.

What the heck is going on!

Robert G

If you really want to take control of the pool you'll need to spend some time at the Pool School (Button Upper Right) to get a handle on various pool terms, chemicals, etc. Here they emphasis self education and accurate testing in order to maintain a pool. It works and is not particularly difficult but takes some time investment to get up and running.

As to your particular questions :

PH - This probably has something to do with the balance of your fill water and particulars of your pool. This really isn't your main problem though - and you can leave the bug light plugged in.

Chlorine - You are most likely using Calcium Hypochlorite shock to chlorinate your pool. Since you keep draining it there is no CYA in the water - no protection from sunlight. The sunlight breaks down the chlorine and the algae are free to grow.

Post more specifics about your situation - chemicals you are using, how often, etc.
Do you have any sort of test equipment at all? Strips, etc.

The more you post the more people will respond. Since you're starting with clean water it should be easy. If you give your clean water even a few days without proper chlorination however the algae will grow back. It's lurking in all the piping and in your filter, etc. and grows very fast.

I'll guess this is a moderately small above ground pool? That info helps us to help you. You can add that info to your signature, go to User Control Panel, top left, find Profile, then Edit Signature. Add stuff like the size of your pool, surface type, equipment specs, your location.

Then if this is a small pool, as you read Pool School, button top right, concentrate on the Beginners Guide to Temporary/Seasonal Pools. Heck, you may want to print it out. Follow that as best you can regarding the initial treatment for your new water, then come back and tell us about it.

Thanks for your quick responses. And yes, I just got through browsing Pool School!!! Leslies has really been getting into my pocket book over the last couple of years.

It's a 16,500 inground (low water rates in La Vernia, TX) and after doing research, I've gone about this forum all wrong. Blame Panic and my desire to fill it in with dirt!

Will get started on the right path and see how it goes. Been on the wrong one for 5 years now.

One question though, I see what products there are to raise pH and TA but what if you have constant HIGH pH?

I'll keep reading though, I've got a half of pool to go before I start cleaning!

Thanks!

There's an article in Pool School called "lowering total alkalinity" that probably will help you. Constantly high pH is almost always caused by high TA, so lowering it should significantly reduce, if not eliminate that problem.

But TA is one of the last things you worry about. You will want to get the pool balanced first. In short, adjust pH to 7.2 (I know it won't stay there but it is a start). Then get chlorine and CYA in range. Then look at CH and finally TA. While TA does affect how fast the pH changes, you can just adjust it back when it gets high. Eventually TA will lower and pH won't climb so fast.

But most important, right this moment, make sure you have a good test kit. What are you using now? How old is it?

With a fresh fill, what you have is tap water and the water department can tell you what is in it as far as calcium and metals and the total alkalinity (probably). There will be no CYA at all. And what chlorine there is will be gone in an hour or two.

You must get chlorine in it ASAP, once you can run the filter and get circulation. And you want to get CYA in it ASAP, once it is circulating.

All of this depends on getting good test data. If you read a bit in the forum you will find examples of people who took 3 identical samples to 3 different pool stores and got 3 different test results. Best to test it yourself, carefully, and often. I suggest the TF-100 as it is the best value, more reagents for the price and great service. http://www.tftestkits.net

I'm so embarresed to say, that I've been buying my test kit from Home Depot. I'll take your advice and get the good kit. I've learned and bunch in the last couple of hours reading on this site!

Great information. I'm ready with the chlorine, and I'll be ready with the CYA by tomorrow when the pool gets back to the level when I can turn the pump back on.

Thanks for your advice!!!

Robert G

Once you understand the different kinds of chlorine and how to use them to control the PH/TA and at what time of the year to use them, then trust me, its really simple. THE TF100 that Dave sells on this site is awesome and affordable. I would not use anything else. I have been a pool owner for 3.5 years now and the last 2 years, I have never had an algae outbreak at all. Its hot here with pool at 86 degrees. About perfect to swim in the wonderfully clear water. Pics are in my sig if you wish to look at my inground pool.

Wish you luck and if you get stuck, then jump right back online to TFP and everyone will be here for support.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Robert G said:
Leslies has really been getting into my pocket book over the last couple of years

I think most of us try to get to under $20 month in pool chemicals. With a little research into a good source of chlorine $30 month is very doable. Beats that $120 bill at the pool store every month.

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Sounds like you are well on your way.[/quote]
I spend $16 dollars every 2 weeks at Home depot (5.5 strength, 6 gallon case) I must say this summer its been so hot that I have to keep my chlorine levels up there daily, every other day I have to put a gallon or 2 in there, the water temp and evaporation is so high that I have to refill at least once a week, when i go inside the pool is like going into a jacuzzi....too hot...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.