Is this right ????

Jul 25, 2010
I am about to buy a ABG pool. I am going with 1.5Hp pump single speed. After posting in here I was told to go with the 2 speed pump but when I called the dealer they said that they no longer carry the Pentair 1.5hp Dynamo pump 2 speed because of issues with it breaking down. He told me that Pentair isn't making the Dynamo in 2 speed anymore for the these reasons. Is this guy for real??? Does having the 2 speed really matter and why???

Seaspray 24ft Evolution pool
w/ 1.5Hp Pentair Dynamo single speed pump
22" Sand Dollar Sand filter
Aquatrol SWG.

You can save a dramatic amount of electricity (30% to 50% savings) by running the pump for twice as long on low speed.

As a general rule of thumb, you want a larger filter and a smaller pump than a builder/store is interested in selling to you.

Pentair still makes the 1.5 HP two speed Dynamo and many places have it in stock. I would actually recommend the 1 HP Dynamo two speed, 1.5 HP is more than you need unless you have a spa or some water feature (fountain, waterfall, etc) you haven't mentioned.

I am getting a fountain for the pool. So has anyone heard of the 2 speed being dicontinued due to break downs of the 2 speed??? Also so if I get this right - If I demand the 2 speed for my pool and get it then my pump will run twice as long for 30-50% less the cost??? Will this wear the pump out faster due to being run longer???

You're being fed a line. First off, Pentair doesn't make the motor, never have! They're made by A.O.Smith or one of the other major players. They've been making those motors for years and they're very reliable. Don't let him feed you a line about it's the pump end that's the problem either. They put the same wet end on the single speed and the 2-speed motor.

If you look at the Pentair website they still list the single speed and the 2-speed Dynamo pumps.

Just to reiterate what Jason said, a 1.5 hp pump is too much pump for a 24' round agp pool. A 3/4 hp single speed would work just fine. I run a 0.5hp full rated pump with no problem and my water passes through two solar panels.

At first the company was selling me the 1Hp pump but after I went back and asked for the 1.5Hp he upgraded it for free. At this point I'm going to call them and tell them that if I don't get a 2speed then I won't buy from them. I'm kinda ticked off that he told me they aren't selling them anymore due to Pentair not making them when Pentair is still making them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.