Warning...Just seen on Fox News...make sure you get a permit

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Make sure you get a permit before installing your in ground or above ground pool...One community out on Long Island. River something or other started using google earth to check on which properties have a pool and then make sure that building permits were pulled before the pool was built. These permits cost $900 a piece...and they found enough pools built without permits that with fines people owe 250,000 dollars to the city. You know how things spread...pretty soon all municipalities will be doing this.

I never knew how many AGPs my town had until I did a google satellite search, and saw just how many there were on my square block. Get your permits people...It will get you in the end....

Our county has a very good GIS system linked to property/tax records with an imagery overlay. A bit slower than google earth or Bing maps but it was nice when we were househunting.

I recently took a gander at some of pools in our community - there are more than I thought!

Another reason to get your permits. We hit a gas line while installing the electric. Luckily we had the permits and markouts. The markouts turned out to be a little off but since they were we won't have to pay for fee for having the gas co. come out and fix the line.

My neighbors went to install their IG pool and when applying for permits they explained that they have the required fencing. The township told them that they have no record of them having a fence and they had to pay a fine for not getting a permit 9 years after they installed the fence. It can always come back so better to just do it right the first time.

ncbrit said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
how will they know when the pool was built? Google Earth hasn't been around that long...

Doesn't matter. No permit on file = you owe them money. I bet that the permit regulations already cover situations where a previous homeowner did the work.

don't they have "grandfather" clauses? Our fence and pool were both installed when our area was unincorporated. We are now part of a Village. I don't see how they can charge me for a permit for things installed 10 and 12 years ago... :shock:

I don't think you are on the hook if a previous owner did the work with out a permit. I'm pretty sure our fence was installed by the by the previous homeowner without a permit. However, when I brought my plans in for the pool the fence is on the survey from when I purchased the property.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dlduvall said:
My SIL's neighbors turned her in for not having a permit. She had to take down what they had started, pay for the permit, and then start over again. :shock: Some people can be a**es!

That is why I got a permit and made sure it was posted prominently in my window...I have horrible old neighbors who hate everything I do. They would have turned me in in an instant...when the little bulldozer came in and started excavating I thought they were going to have a heart attack collectively...They hate the noise our pool creates when the kids are in it...have complained that they can't sit in their yard anymore...SO PUT UP A FENCE SO YOU CAN"T SEE OR HEAR US!...it is a shame to have neighbors like that. it really is.

frustratedpoolmom said:
ncbrit said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
how will they know when the pool was built? Google Earth hasn't been around that long...

Doesn't matter. No permit on file = you owe them money. I bet that the permit regulations already cover situations where a previous homeowner did the work.

don't they have "grandfather" clauses? Our fence and pool were both installed when our area was unincorporated. We are now part of a Village. I don't see how they can charge me for a permit for things installed 10 and 12 years ago... :shock:

Mom,
I would imagine since you were unincorporated at the time, and there were no requirments for permits at that time, that they could not come back and hit you...but you do live in the revenue tapped state of blagojavich...and anything could happen :rant: I wouldn't worry too much.

dlduvall said:
My SIL's neighbors turned her in for not having a permit. She had to take down what they had started, pay for the permit, and then start over again. :shock: Some people can be a**es!

What in the world!? Ok, so your SIL should have gotten a permit and ultimately did, but seriously... Did they have to call the city? Ugh, I can't stand people like this. Sheesh, that was awfully neighborly of them.

Ok, calming down now...(lol) Sorry, people acting like... jerks (being nice) is one of my pet peeves. I have to agree some people can just be jerks.

dlduvall said:
While they may have been just being jerks, if the pool was located such that a collapse would flood their property, I can sort-of understand. If an above-ground pool was being built upstream of me, I would ask them if they had all the required paperwork, and wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to call the city if they blew it off. That's not being a jerk, just protecting yourself from inconsiderate and yes, lawbreaking, neighbors.

Certainly, you're right Melt. Everyone has the right to protect themselves and their property. I'm not saying they don't nor am I suggesting, that people shouldn't get permits either. I feel as probably many people here do, that if you're going to do something, do it right (permits and all).

Like I said, people going out of their way to be a PITA is a pet peeve of mine and that's what I reacted to. With that said, I think we both read a lot into this.

dlduvall didn't say anything about any history between these two or what their relationship was. Nor, did she didn't say anything about the SIL blowing off the neighbor or if there was even a conversation or how if the pool was upstream or not.

I think we can agree the SIL should have gotten the permit. The neighbor however, won't know if they were a considerate concerned citizen looking to protect their property or someone who for whatever reason felt they needed to stick it someone because the could.

Melt In The Sun said:
dlduvall said:
While they may have been just being jerks, if the pool was located such that a collapse would flood their property, I can sort-of understand. If an above-ground pool was being built upstream of me, I would ask them if they had all the required paperwork, and wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to call the city if they blew it off. That's not being a jerk, just protecting yourself from inconsiderate and yes, lawbreaking, neighbors.

I imagine 15 K gallons of water would make quite a mess in several yards around my pool. Just so everyone knows, my intention is starting this post was to warn people to make sure they get the permits if required...I don't want to see anyone have to buy a permit after pool was built, and then pay penalties on top of it. This was in no way political commentary on my part...I don't do politics here...Just don't want people getting stuck.

cubbybeave08 said:
dlduvall said:

That is why I got a permit and made sure it was posted prominently in my window...I have horrible old neighbors who hate everything I do. They would have turned me in in an instant...when the little bulldozer came in and started excavating I thought they were going to have a heart attack collectively...They hate the noise our pool creates when the kids are in it...have complained that they can't sit in their yard anymore...SO PUT UP A FENCE SO YOU CAN"T SEE OR HEAR US!...it is a shame to have neighbors like that. it really is.

Sooooo...you prominently display beer can towers and shoot the cans with b b guns or bean bags on occasion, yes? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.