Closing and preserving the pool

May 3, 2010
Hi guys, thanks to this forum, you all helped me turn a nasty green pool to a clean crisp sparkling pool. Unfortunately, it is more maintenance than I can handle at this time. We've had rain 14 days straight and worms/leaves/debris have been flying its way back to the pool. I've really only been able to use the pool 2 days out of the 90 days that i've been maintaining it. With my 12 hour a day 6 days a week job, I don't think I want to spend the time taking care of it.

How would one go about preserving the pool so for next year when my schedule gets a little better and I have more free time to take care of it? Can I just clean it and buy those blue tarps (the one they use to cover the roof during construction) and cover the pool?

If you'll provide us a little more info on your equipment there may be some advice we can give. The best way to do it is to edit your sig in the User Control Panel. Add your location while you're in there.

I'll be watching this thread as I've had similar questions. In the past, I've kept the pool running until after the first frost. When it looks like it will get cold enough to freeze, I let the pump run 24 hours a day including through the solar panels to make sure they don't freeze. Once I know that the season is over, I vacuum to waste until the level is a few inches below the eyeball and drain the filter. I've got unions on the pump and solar panel lines, so I'll disconnect them, drain 'em, and bring them inside. Other than that, I don't do anything else.

We installed a new liner this year and would really like to keep it in good shape. In that past, I haven't covered the pool for the winter, but I think it is likely a good idea and have considered the blue tarps the OP mentioned. Any comments good or bad???

Do you have any type of automatic pool cleaner? You could run it on a timer every day to clean up a lot of the debris that makes its way into the pool. Or you may want to check into a service that will come and vacuum once a week. If your CH is low enough you could use cal-hypo tabs in a floater to keep the chlorine level up, or consider a swg or liquidator to deliver chlorine to the pool. Even if you go through the pool closing procedure and use a polyquat 60 algaecide you may still find a green pool in the spring closing this early.

Perhaps there are others in the Houston/Gulf Coast Area that have closed early and have some advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.