Filter Issues

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have a Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1HP Pump which is located in a shed near my pool. The floor in the room the pump sits in is always wet. I assume this isn't normal? The leak seems to be coming from a seam near the bottom of the filter where it sits in a plastic piece that is mounted to the floor. Any ideas what I could do to rectify this? Is there any routine maintenance that I should be performing?

Secondly, whenever I need to open the skimmer basket on the filter, water gushes out of it. Fortunately, there is a drain in the room. Is there something I need to do before I open the skimmer to remove the water pressure (the pump is off when I do this, of course)?

Welcome to the forum.
You may want to check and see if your equipment is below your water level. This would account for the gush of water coming out when you open your "PUMP" basket (I assume this is the one you mean, rather than your skimmer basket, which should be in your skimmer, poolside).
If it is below water level, you will always have this gush of water coming out, and may be the reason for the damp floor.

Another possibility, is the internal check valve in the filter may be damaged and allowing water to backflow when you open the pump lid. Do you notice if there's white powered (DE) backflowing also?

Regarding the leak, if there's a puddle of water, drop some chlorine reagent or use a test strip into that water. If there's chlorine, its definately pool water (as long as you have chlorine in the pool of course). If it's leaking along the bottom of the EC75 filter, how old is your filter? As I recall, these filters had a long tank warranty.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Sean. I did mean the pump basket (still getting all the terminology correct at this point).

The filter being below water level makes sense, since I didn't have this problem earlier in the year and we've had a ridiculous amount of rain here this month. Would sump pumping down the dry well (which is quite high right now) next to my pool bring my filter back above the water level?

The filter came with the house when we bought it, so I'm not sure of it's age. I'll see if I can track that info down.

There are two different water levels to keep in mind, pool water and ground water. The floor could be wet because ground water is high. The pump strainer is normally only going to produce water if the strainer is below pool water level.

every pool design will have different effect, so I can't know yours for sure. but I can suggest you try to turn off the pump, turn filter to backwash or waste before opening the lid. it might help releasing the water pressure. and when open the lid, don't open it all at once, turn it open till you can feel some pressure released, wait a short while, then open it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.