Need chemicals for initial setup of saltwater pool?

Jul 29, 2010
New Bern, NC
Hi Everybody!

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading these forums previous to installing our new little Intex 16' X48 AGP. It was the kit the comes with the 1500 gph filter pump, cover, ladder, etc. I am a complete novice in all things pool, especially chemical balance.

We set it up Saturday morning and with the combination of the city water and our well, had it filled in about 7 hours or so. We have the Intex Saltwater generator set up and I added 120# of the Morton pool salt as per instructions. It says to wait 24 hours before using the SWG after adding salt, but after about 4 hours and the kids moving the water around VERY well, I figured it was certainly well dissolved. The water had a pretty good tinge of green and it was getting dark out. So I turned the SWG on and initially set it for 4 hours. After 4 hours, I ran the Boost cycle which allowed it to run all night and well into the next day. No "salt amount" errors, so far so good. The next morning, the water was crystal clear, I could NOT believe it! It ran for only 4 hours last night, but after doing water tests, I've found that the chlorine doesn't even register and I've still got a high Ph level.

So while the water is clear, I am concerned that I'm not getting the chlorine level up there. It's Monday and I turned on the boost cycle again to run all day. Should I just keep running the SWG and let it sort out or should I have given it some chemical "help" from the beginning?

Kids are really enjoying the pool and we've finally had some sun here to warm the water some. Went from 75 yesterday to almost 80 today.

Just don't know if I should keep running this saltwater machine continuous and see what happens or perhaps add a bit of chlorine and some acid to bring down the Ph so the machine can better maintain levels.

Thanks for any advice. This website is a blessing!

Howard

You need to get the CYA level to 70-80. Reading pool school will be a big help. I believe the boost on that model produces copper, correct? With no CYA your chlorine will not hold well at all and may over power that underpowered pump!

nikolasmor said:
You need to get the CYA level to 70-80. Reading pool school will be a big help. I believe the boost on that model produces copper, correct? With no CYA your chlorine will not hold well at all and may over power that underpowered pump!

It does produce copper.......but it's obvious I need to read that "pool school" because I have no idea what you just said except the fact I'm aware that the pump is a whimp!

By the fact that you said the water had a green tinge to it indicates algae. Unless you have metals, you have an algae bloom and your SWCG will never kill an algae bloom. You need to read pool school on how to shock you pool. You need to use bleach until the algae is killed.

How long has the water been in the pool?
Have you added anything to it except salt?
Is it clear green or cloudy green?
What is your fill source?
How are you testing the water?

You should also read the pool school article on temporary pool setup. Your pool is about 5500 gallons so it's on the border of what I consider a temporary pool.

You should get a good test kit or at very least the HTH 6-way kit.

Bama Rambler said:
By the fact that you said the water had a green tinge to it indicates algae. Unless you have metals, you have an algae bloom and your SWCG will never kill an algae bloom. You need to read pool school on how to shock you pool. You need to use bleach until the algae is killed.

How long has the water been in the pool?
Have you added anything to it except salt?
Is it clear green or cloudy green?
What is your fill source?
How are you testing the water?

You should also read the pool school article on temporary pool setup. Your pool is about 5500 gallons so it's on the border of what I consider a temporary pool.

You should get a good test kit or at very least the HTH 6-way kit.

Dave, after setting up the pool Saturday, around 1 pm I started to fill it with both tap and well water. It had a bit of a green hue to it. I added salt, ran the pump and kids were swimming in it for a few hours, then ran the pump and SWG all night. Woke up to very clear water and it has been remaining clear since Sunday. I ran the SWG all day on Monday and the water is still clear. I picked up that cheap blue box test kit at Walmart. Of course I need to get a decent kit as I am unable to test for CYA.

So nothing added except the salt, water is clear and not cloudy. Before filling, I initially used the test strips that came with the pool on both the tap water and well water. They were almost identical with ph levels off the charts and a total alkalinity of approx. 150-200., so I figured why not use both sources of water.

Pool School reading has been great. I think I know what I need to do:

- Get a decent test kit and determine my CYA
- Get my CYA level correct with a stabilizer
- Use muriatic acid to drop my ph levels
- Use bleach to get my Free Chlorine level in the proper range
- Once at proper levels, determine the proper timing on the SWG to maintain the proper chemistry.

Does this sound like a good attack? I realize that getting the proper CYA level takes some time. I will have a look at the temp. pool setup, that's really what it is in my opinion!

Thanks for the help!

Howard

That looks like a good plan. The only caveat might be the well water. If it has iron and if enough was added to be a problem. If your pool is really clear it doesn't sound like it's a problem.

Buy a 3lb jug of stabilizer at Walmart and add about 2½lbs of it. That'll give you a little left over for when you need to add a bit.

Oh yeah, and one last thing! UNPLUG that copper ionizer. It just unplugs at the cell with the copper bars in it. Tape the connections up if you want to.

Bama Rambler said:
That looks like a good plan. The only caveat might be the well water. If it has iron and if enough was added to be a problem. If your pool is really clear it doesn't sound like it's a problem.

Buy a 3lb jug of stabilizer at Walmart and add about 2½lbs of it. That'll give you a little left over for when you need to add a bit.

Oh yeah, and one last thing! UNPLUG that copper ionizer. It just unplugs at the cell with the copper bars in it. Tape the connections up if you want to.

Very good! Came home with a jug of bleach, a jug of muriatic and the 3# jug of the stablizer. Will start with the stabilizer tonight.

Thanks for the tip on the copper chingaderras, I'll unplug that bugger right now.

Thanks for your help, Dave!

Howard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.