Deck is finished and the pool has been great for 2 years..

gqjeff

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2010
IL
Well the deck has finally started in the back yard. Hoping it will be done in a week or so as summer is going by fast. I will take pics to show the build along the way. the deck is 37*12 on 2 sides and makes a nice big area in the corner.

deck.jpg

Re: Deck is finally started

Thanks.. yes if you see we have a small 12*10 sized deck already. We are stepping up from that to this with a 6 foot wide gate. We have a 3 yr old so we are going to have it gated. We also have the pool alarm installed that warms if the surface has been broken and also a home security system that has door alarms. Then in the corner I have an outdoor motion detector that will be attached that will alarm if somehow he makes it out the door and through the gate. He will not be able to beat the motion detector I am thinking. I just do not feel we can have enough safety measures in place. These pools r fun but the thought of something happening to my little guy makes me crazy. We had a 3 yr old drown 10 miles away a couple months ago and that's always on my mind...

gqjeff said:
Thanks.. yes if you see we have a small 12*10 sized deck already. We are stepping up from that to this with a 6 foot wide gate. We have a 3 yr old so we are going to have it gated. We also have the pool alarm installed that warms if the surface has been broken and also a home security system that has door alarms. Then in the corner I have an outdoor motion detector that will be attached that will alarm if somehow he makes it out the door and through the gate. He will not be able to beat the motion detector I am thinking. I just do not feel we can have enough safety measures in place. These pools r fun but the thought of something happening to my little guy makes me crazy. We had a 3 yr old drown 10 miles away a couple months ago and that's always on my mind...

We also have a three year old son and a 7 month old son as well. I feel the same way about security so whatever we end up doing we'll want to be sure that there are several measures in place to prevent an accident.

In addition to our boys we have a bulldog who loves water but cannot swim so we need to keep him away from the pool too. :cool:

Yes never to safe. I like the motion detector because it works wireless with our security system. We have a little maltese but shes not into the water LOL. Now our old weimaraners that was a different story. We could have never gotten a pool until we had to let them go to new homes last fall.

Wow that's a lot of work, A pool deck is next on my list as well. I have been
debating the best, lasting method for setting the post's and how close I
can support near the pool walls. my deck will be about a bit smaller then
pictured but still enough to comfortable hold a lounge chair etc.

I don't think sometimes, I just should have asked around here, I'd most likely
be done already with it.

The framers told me this new PT wood is not like the old days and does not handle
dampness and especially water well at all, and putting porous concrete around it.
just makes matters even worst. Remember your deck will be extremly heavy from
what I see, make sure it will drain runoff from a good rain best you can.

The Two post setting methods I narrowed my deck plans down too are:

#1 pouring mini 4"x4" foundations about 1/2 - 1" above grade and setting in post
anchors to mount to.
OR
#2 pouring good solid mini foundations (to grade level) and just sit the PT post in a
concrete pier I saw them at the home depot, the post just sit inside them as long as
the mini foundation's are secure the weight of the deck should be more then enough
for stability, "for lift code" I can always just anchor the deck to the ground with
a few cable's everything will be covered clean and flush by lattice anyway and would
make any repairs, years down the road a breeze.

I'd like some feedback about what you Guys/Gals think best or maybe other ways, pros,
cons etc What I'd really like to know is how close some of your deck post come near pool
walls, as far as I am concerned this is the most important part of the project.

I'm thinking of using 6x6's taking a circular saw, cut slits and clean chisel out a groove
to support the 2x6's so they rest inside the post, with 2 bolts per post or is this just over
doing it.

I'm not a Carpenter by trade, just a wire jockey, but all new construction that have decking
and porches at my Job sites, never have the post below grade anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

DYIguy, I went 40" deep as that gets me below the frost line here so I will not have the deck moving at all. Also with TL you want to let it dry out a couple months before staining or sealing it. I plan to find a good stain and then I will also put a water sealer on it. I will try and get better pics closer up tonight as I have a golf event today so heading out soon. This deck will support elephants LOL. My 4*4 supports next to the pool are about 20" out.

CNA, thanks

Jeff

Looking good so far! I'm relocating a 28 x 40 pool deck to my pool from my fathers house. He lives 100 yds away. Brought it over in 4 pieces. I have all the posts in and support beams are in place. Now to get the boom truck to sit the 4 large pieces in place on top and anchor them all down and to each other. Hope all my beams and posts are in the right place :mrgreen: . Building from scratch would have been much easier for locating posts and such, but this saves me quite a few $$$.

You will definitely enjoy that when it's complete. Good luck on the rest of the build!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.