Starting from scratch again.

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
I just replaced my 1 month old liner and I have it full againas of yesterday. Last start up I shocked right away and turned the pool orange from metals and got a few stains from that. So my question is to avoid any more stains to my skimmer and ladder should I do the metal out first and then chlorine,ph,stabilizer? Or can I do the chlorine and metal out all at once? I haven't added anything yet, just wanted to see what order to start. I used well water to fill it. Last results before anything was added (pool store results) were:

Total Chlorine .01
Free chlorine .01
pH 8.2
TA 160
CYA 10

I will be using bleach for chlorine and shock,I have a gallon of muratic acid and I will need to get some metal out and stabilizer. Last start I used 2 1/2 32 oz.bottles of stabilizer and my CYA was running about 40 so I will probably do the same with that.

I pretty much know how much of each I will need I just need to know in what order to do it all in. Thanks so much !!!

Take a good look at those numbers! With well water there is no chlorine unless you add it. There also is no CYA.
That should give you a pretty good indication why we harp on getting a good test kit. (you really need a good test kit).

If you read through the Pool School article on metals in your pool you'll see which sequestrants are best. Metal Out isn't one of them.

You should adjust your pH first. Bring it down to 7.2 with muriatic acid. Use Pool Calc to figure out how much you need.
You should add the recommended startup dose of sequestrant then add chlorine to slowly bring your FC up to 3ppm.
Even while you're adding chlorine you should be adding enough CYA to get you to about 40ppm.

you read my mind about the chlorine and CYA. I was wondering about just what you said as I was typing it. I am planning on getting a good test kit but these past two weeks hasn't been a good time. I don't care for that pool stores test methods because they use a test strip and put it in a scanner thing for the results. Doesnt seem to accurate to me. Thanks again Rambler !!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.