Differences in Rec Levels: Plaster manufacturer vs BBB vs In

May 11, 2010
East Texas
I'm reviewing pool school and manufacturer recommendations and there are differences. I'm assuming the plaster manufacturer (we have quartz aggregate) isn't taking into account SWG v chlorine as there's not mention of either in their literature. Here's their recommendations:
a.] pH 7.4 - 7.6
b.] Alkalinity 100 - 125 ppm
c.] Calcium 250 - 400 ppm
d.] Chlorine gradually to 2 ppm
e.] Total dissolved solids <1000 ppm
f.] Cyanuric acid <50

The items are bold are the ones that differ from BBB. I don't want to void my warranty, yet everything I've read in pool school about SWG and CYA makes sense.

What do you folks do? Whose recommendations do you follow?

Thanks!

First off, you need to make sure that being outside those numbers will void your warranty. Most of the time they're only recommendations. Heaters are the most notorious items for requiring the chems to be a certain level for warranty issues. However, if they are "required" for warranty then you have no choice but to abide by them. Keep in mind that they may also only be required for a set amount of time (30 days) until the plaster cures.

Very good point Dave. I just went back and read the warranty. The actual warranty language states "This warranty shall not include pools which have been abused physically or through lack of proper chemical balancing, chlorine applications or other chemical abuses."

The actual warranty "certificate" I see now has different recommended levels (TA 80-120, CH 200-400, and CYA 40-60, so more in line with BBB) and it says must be followed and maintained but it also says I must have it checked monthly by a pool retail outlet and keep my "computerized records" for inspection in case of a warranty claim.

So, I believe I am ok. I am not trusting the pool store (my pool builder even said don't). I really don't anticipate problems since I will be testing my water and adjusting.

Thanks for the reply and helping me think this through!

momof1tx said:
...it also says I must have it checked monthly by a pool retail outlet and keep my "computerized records" for inspection in case of a warranty claim...
Yes, you must keep a monthly record of the wildly inaccurate and conflicting "tests" done by a high school kid with 5 minutes of training. Fantastic. That'll keep you pool right. :blah:

So the point would be spend $7.50 (that's what my store charges with no purchase) once a month for printed out test results just to keep my warranty right. Guess I could do that.
Practically speaking, I wouldn't even consider that. Always do your own testing and trust your own results. A monthly record of pool store results is liable to be so wildly innaccurate to perhaps void your warranty when, in actuality, your parameters were always in line.

If someone insists from printouts from the pool store, you would have to monitor them very carefully....there is a good chance they will be in error.

Just speculating here;
I would think that if you kept a good record of every test you did on your pool and could prove your testing method they'd have a very hard time denying warranty on that ground. The intent of the testing is to ensure the balance of the water which is easy to do using one of the kits recommended here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.