New home in Fl (for me) old pool (new for me)!

tdrum1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Indialantic, FL
Hi all, great site can't wait to really get into it.
So, I bought a home in Indialantic Fl. It's a small beach town on the barrier island between the Indian River and Atlantic Ocean just east of Melbourne.
Home was built in 1984 very sturdy and pool was built shortly there after.
Pool is approximately 30,000 gals w/a surface area of 900 sq ft. It is a strange shape shallow end is a rectangle and deep end is round resembling a "Keyhole". I will try to attach a picture.

My dilemna, pool needs to be replastered, rats ate the wiring for the spa heater plus it is all rusted and corroded, filter is wrong size for size of pool list goes on and on. Bottom line what looked really nice on the surface...
So, beans as I have to redo I decided on a heat pump and salt system. I have gotten a recommendation from Della at poolheatpumps.com for a Solarium 125 Heat Pump $3295.00 delivered and a Jandy EI Salt system generator $899.00 plus $38.00 s&h.
I do not know anything about these systems and am trying to get educated before I go spending oodles of money.
Already ran into a problem w/the guy I contracted with to do the replaster but that's another story.
So, if there is anyone out there with suggestions, comments, etc. I'm open.

I would like to keep the pool about 80 or so, my Mom is 82 and she likes it warm. We are looking to move in next spring when I retire. Thanks from the "NG" (new girl)

Hey there, new girl,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: That is a VERY pretty pool. You will love it when you get it fixed.

It seems like you're not sure where to start. Seems to me like the heater will be the big ticket item assuming the plaster holds up for another season.

I don't have a heater so can't advise. Just prioritize your repairs and we'll help you go through them one at a time and get that pool all fixed up. You'll find a lot of true experts here on the forum and they'll all help.

Yep, heater is definetly needed. When we were down there in May the pool temp was only bout 72. Lots of folks have heaters in that area. Won't need it for long but will need it some.

Priorities have already been set thanks, actually I don't think I have a choice it has to be replastered. Upon close examination there are chips, cracks, missing tile and the water level mysteriously falls regularly. :hammer:

Heavy sigh, the pool needs a new face and might as well have some new parts to go with it. I didn't want to have to do it right now but I really don't have a choice. I don't believe in "bandaids" they cost more in the long run, so might just as well
do it now while I'm still working full time!

That's why I'm looking for recommendations for the Heat Pump and the Salt system.
I really need some help, thanks :|

Will you be using the heater only for the spa, or to heat the entire pool?

How far along are you in the replaster process? What issue(s) have you encountered? There are some plaster experts around here that can help you out in terms of what to expect, etc.

As for the heat pumps, there are a few salespeople that frequent the forum. I have an AquaCal and it works well, but that is the limit of my experience. The SWG you mentioned is not one of the really common models, so you may not be able to find (m)any people that have experience with it. The cell size is critical; for a pool that size you need a cell that is rated for 40k gallons, maybe even more if you can find one.

Thanks for the compliments, it really is a nice pool can't wait till it is finished. I actually did jump in once before we left to come back to NJ.

Yes, we want to be able to heat the entire pool so I do realize that a duo-control heat pump would be my best bet.

Where are we in the replaster process...trying to get the down payment back and start over. Problems with the contractor and permits long story hopefully we caught it before it got really bad like the pool standing empty or something.

Thanks for the input on the SWG, that's just the info I'm asking for.

We are just getting started so I am open to any suggestions for equipment and advice on how to go about it.

New to FLorida too. a few of the issues sound the same for us.
we don't own it yet so we have a few options open.
wish you the best of luck. we're just down the road in winter springs.
watching how it works for you as we move forward.
cheers