Informed noob using Borax!

Jul 30, 2010
Okay first off I am new to this site and think it is really awesome! I take care of my own pool and it looks great. I wanted to use optimizer but was turned off by the $245 price tag, then I found this site and a very nice post about using Borax. My pool is 10,000 SWG will recheck all parameters before dosing, per aforementioned post. Just want to make sure that 32 lbs of 20 Mule Team Borax is what I need, simple math but I am just pussyfooting b/c this is my first time.

Thanks in Advanced!

Welcome to TFP!

To raise borates from 0 to 50 in 10,000 gallons, I get 37lbs of borax (7.8 boxes) and 2 gallons plus 3 cups of 31.45% muriatic acid.

Alternatively you could use 24 lbs of boric acid, which is a little more expensive but much simpler.

Followed the instructions and I am happy with the results. I took a sample and they told me that the borates levels are 30-50 ppm, thanks so much. I plan on just dosing Borax once at the beggining of summer, is that okay? Or is it better to keep the levels up all year long?
Thanks

To be at exactly 50 ppm is not that important, but that is the starting point where most of the benefits are noticed. I brought mine up to 50 ppm and then add a box of borax every month or so since I have a sand filter and backwash/replace water. 50-80ppm is still safe and effective.

Jason and Dman,

Thanks! I dont have a test kit to monitor borates, but the dip stick that was used at the poolsuppy store just gave a rough value of 30 - 50 ppm. So I wont be able to get a exact measurement. I guess i could add 4 boxes every 6 months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.