Alpha-cellulose filter aid

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
When I was still on Baquacil trying to clear my pool at the beginning of this season, I bought a filter aid consisting of alphacellulose. It did work for clearing my water faster and according to the directions on the box, it should have been backwashed out of my filter, but when we opened my filter to change it after the conversion, there were still some large clumps of it in there.

I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of the stuff and knows anything about it. Does it do more harm than good? I still have more than half of it left from the box I bought. Is it worth keeping around? Or I could pass it on to my sister who wants to stay on Baquacil.

For most people it is not worth the extra money to use cellulose based filter aids. They improve filtering only slightly, except with sand filters and then you might as well use DE which is cheaper. Some people can see the difference and are very happy using it, most can't tell the difference.

Jason, do you EVER sleep... or go swimming. ;-) Thank you for the many, many helpful answers you have given me.

I guess I will pass the filter aid on to my sis when she buys the 6+ gallons of peroxide shock and 4+ bottles of sanitizer I have left.... she will probably need it before I do!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.