Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alpha-cellulose filter aid

1. Back To Top    #1

Alpha-cellulose filter aid

When I was still on Baquacil trying to clear my pool at the beginning of this season, I bought a filter aid consisting of alphacellulose. It did work for clearing my water faster and according to the directions on the box, it should have been backwashed out of my filter, but when we opened my filter to change it after the conversion, there were still some large clumps of it in there.

I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of the stuff and knows anything about it. Does it do more harm than good? I still have more than half of it left from the box I bought. Is it worth keeping around? Or I could pass it on to my sister who wants to stay on Baquacil.
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

2. Back To Top    #2
    For most people it is not worth the extra money to use cellulose based filter aids. They improve filtering only slightly, except with sand filters and then you might as well use DE which is cheaper. Some people can see the difference and are very happy using it, most can't tell the difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Jason, do you EVER sleep... or go swimming. Thank you for the many, many helpful answers you have given me.

I guess I will pass the filter aid on to my sis when she buys the 6+ gallons of peroxide shock and 4+ bottles of sanitizer I have left.... she will probably need it before I do!
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!