Resort Owner

Jul 18, 2010
Nice, CA
Greetings, one and all. I thought I'd introduce myself, as requested. My name is Tony and my wife and I own the Featherbed Railroad which is a bed and breakfast made of antique railroad cabooses in Northern California's wine country located right on the shore of Clear Lake, the largest natural freshwater lake entirely in California. Hope that wasn't too much of a plug.

I'm here to glean information on the pool that came along with our property. We have an in-ground pool that our guests enjoy during summer months. The pool was put in 21 years ago and I think most of the technology that keeps it clean is from about that era. It still even has one of those old-fashioned Pentair skimmers with the snakes like I remember from when I was a kid.

Fortunately we have a groundskeeper who's been here for 15 years or I might have buried the pool when I bought the place. Maybe it's the 20-year-old technology or what, but it's a LOT of work to keep this pool clean and all the bits keep failing, which has proven expensive.

So, I'm here looking around for advice and assistance. The County said we had the cleanest pool they regularly inspect but man it's a lot of work and money to keep it that way.

Hey, Featherbed,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: What's taught on this forum is simplicity and economy. Can you tell us just a little more about the effort involved in keeping the pool up and where the expense is coming in.

Pool maintenance is certainly not free but it is usually pretty easy to manage a pool without spending a fortune.

As always, if you can post test results from the water, that's the best place to start.