New pool--starting pump question

davef

Jun 28, 2010
North Haven, CT
Hi, all. We just got a pool installed on Friday (info in sig, hopefully :) ), and I had a question about the pump. When the pump is running normally (filter position), the PSI is about 17, the pump is full of water, and the water return shoots water out so fast I can't even keep my hand in front of it. But when I turn the pump off for a while and then turn it back on, it runs at zero PSI with the pump half full (water pours into the pump but it does not fill) and nothing comes out of the return. Then, after about 20-30 minutes it will start building pressure again and everything goes back to normal (pump full, filter at 17psi, return shooting water).

What is the normal procedure for starting the pump? Can I just turn it on, as I am doing? Should I backwash first, then rinse, then turn it on? I did try that but it did not help in building pressure.

Thanks for the help, all.

Welcome to TFP!

You are losing your prime when the pump shuts off and in order to get the pump primed again, you need to clear the air from the system when starting the pump.

Turn the pump on and find the little air bleed valve on your filter. It'll be somewhere at the top of the filter near your pressure gauge. Open it up and let the air out. Once water comes out instead of air, close it again and you're set.

Check the pump strainer basket lid and make sure that it is snug. Is your equipment pad sitting above the level of the pool? Trying to figure out why it is losing prime like that.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I can't seem to find the air bleed valve but I am looking through the owner's manuals...I'm sure it's there somewhere. :)

Pump strainer basket lid is snug. My equipment pad is on the ground and the level of the pool is about four feet above the ground at that point. I will take some pics and post them to give you an idea of the setup. Really appreciate the help; if need be I can call my installer and have him come back to troubleshoot. I wanted to make sure that wasn't expected behavior, and it sure sounds like it's not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.