Simple question..and yet I am confused.

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
Hello all fellow TFPers,

Okay I am raising my hand with a "stupid" question but there are supposedly no "stupid" questions.

To turn the port valve when vaccuming or setting up pressure cleaner do I need to shut off pump before turning valve handles or can I just turn when pump is running. I dont mean the handle on the filter. I mean the ones that shut off my returns and direct to pressure cleaner line. I have been turning them with the pump running but saw the other day in small letters on the handle.."turn off pump before moving". Thanks.

Ls

You need to turn off the pump anytime you want to change the settings on the FIlter, if you dont you will cause damage. I am assuming the reasoning behind this is, when under power, there is pressure in the filter, and the inside guts are made of plastic so they can be broken with the added pressure of being turned.

If these ball valves are after the filter and do not restrict flow to it then you can change their direction without turning off pump. I do it here all the time with my waterfall and return jets.

Depending on how things are plumbed there can be pressure spikes while turning the valves if flow was restricted for a moment, which could cause damage. Also, some valves are not designed to be moved while under pressure, for example multi-port valves. If the valves say on them not to turn while the pump is on I would follow their advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.