Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Simple question..and yet I am confused.

1. Back To Top    #1

Simple question..and yet I am confused.

Hello all fellow TFPers,

Okay I am raising my hand with a "stupid" question but there are supposedly no "stupid" questions.

To turn the port valve when vaccuming or setting up pressure cleaner do I need to shut off pump before turning valve handles or can I just turn when pump is running. I dont mean the handle on the filter. I mean the ones that shut off my returns and direct to pressure cleaner line. I have been turning them with the pump running but saw the other day in small letters on the handle.."turn off pump before moving". Thanks.

Ls
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

You need to turn off the pump anytime you want to change the settings on the FIlter, if you dont you will cause damage. I am assuming the reasoning behind this is, when under power, there is pressure in the filter, and the inside guts are made of plastic so they can be broken with the added pressure of being turned.

If these ball valves are after the filter and do not restrict flow to it then you can change their direction without turning off pump. I do it here all the time with my waterfall and return jets.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been moving my drain/skimmer/suction side valves and return side valves without turning off the pump and
    I havnt had any problems. I don't remember the PB ever telling me to turn the pump off, only when switching the filter multiport valve.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Don't know it makes a difference, but I change positions slowly. Cavitation and sudden change in flow to plumbing, less stress.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5
    Depending on how things are plumbed there can be pressure spikes while turning the valves if flow was restricted for a moment, which could cause damage. Also, some valves are not designed to be moved while under pressure, for example multi-port valves. If the valves say on them not to turn while the pump is on I would follow their advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I looked over my valves and none of mine say anything about not moving while pump is on... but I do try and do it slowly so there is not too much of a drastic change in pressure at one time.