shellsingleton

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Lafayette, LA w/pool in Hot Springs, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Wanting to give my pool a facelift. A complete replaster plus tile and coping is not feasable right now so I'm thinking about changing out the coping and having new Kooldeck sprayed. I may DIY the coping stone.
My coping is definitely in need of replacement. A few corner pieces have gone awol, and quite a few pieces around the spa and waterfalls are loose. And it's black. I bet I can fry an egg on it. I may try that tomorrow. :lol:
The tile is in good shape, other than needing some calcium deposits removed here and there. The color is also nice, an off white, almost travertine.
The plaster is ok for now. No major problems, just a couple chips and a few small rust stains.
I have an idea of what I want, but I don't know all the options so feel free to suggest an alternative if you feel it is a better choice. Poured concrete coping, etc.
My questions:
1. Is coping stone available in a half bullnose profile? I'd like something that can sit flush with the edge of the tile and have a rounded edge on top. Right now I have regular bullnose tile that is cantilevered an inch or so past the tile. Pretty uncomfortable on the shoulders when sitting on the seats and ledges. Flush and rounded would be much better.
2. What is the difference between sundek and kooldeck, appearance-wise? (I may not have those names right) My coating is around an 1/8" thick, with tape lines to simulate large pavers.
3. Can you respray deck coatings like that on top of the old layer?
4. What do you suggest for removing rust spots underwater?
5. I assume MA is the chemical I'd want to use to remove the calcium buildup if physical removal proves impossible? There are places above the waterline where it looks like stalagtites have started oozing out of the mortar, 3/16" thick.
6. What kind of cost per sq/ft am I looking at for deck coating?

I'm really just in the planning phase at this point, I hope to get started this fall. If there are things I'm overlooking, feel free to point it out. Pics are possible also if it will help.
Thanks everyone, Shell

I can help with a little of this...

Rust spots underwater can be removed with vitamin C (ascorbic acid). If you just have a few small areas, spot treating using vitamin C tablets should take care of it. If it's more widespread, you can do an ascorbic acid treatment (instructions are in pool school).

MA will remove the calcium buildup.

Ha, Vitamin C, that's great! Fits right in with the BBB method.
I have a contractor coming by to look at the coping stone. And I found out that it is not recommended to shoot Kool Dek, etc on seasoned concrete, works best on green concrete, right at 30 days old. Will be speaking more with him about that when he comes by and I'll report back here.

When I spoke with them about it today, they said most go with a special paint over the existing rather than try to recoat. Said the paint would not change the heat resistance. More on this after I meet with them.
Still no luck on half bullnose coping stone. My compromise may be to go with less "stick out" over the tiles. Would still be a big improvement.

shellsingleton said:
When I spoke with them about it today, they said most go with a special paint over the existing rather than try to recoat. Said the paint would not change the heat resistance. More on this after I meet with them.
That doesn't sound like it would work very well, at least for crumbling KD like I have...

We had Sundek sprayed on our existing decking and patio area during our pool remodel. We also had a contrasting color sprayed on our coping because the coping was structurally sound and it only cost about $650 vs. $2500 to replace the coping. We are very happy with the results.

My understanding is that while Kooldek is best used on fresh concrete, Sundek is specifically for resurfacing older, existing concrete. But it will need to be in decent enough shape to provide a solid foundation for the new coating, or you risk it cracking/failing as well. There are several different texture options for the Sundek but we went with one intended to disguise the few cracks we did have and prevent them from reappearing.

Here are the photos from our remodel. http://picasaweb.google.com/jluede/PoolRemodel?feat=directlink

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.