Intex pool- how to rid dead algea from bottom

Jul 31, 2010
ontario canada
I have a 16'x42" intex easy set pool, I have added clarifier floc and the dead algea sits on the bottom of the pool. We have made a vacumn system for this pool as the one that comes with the pool doesnt go thru the outlet to the pump it only sucks up into a sack which didnt pick up the algea.
The pump that comes with the pool is a filter pump A cartridgetype has no settings on the pump at all is very basic plain.Intex model 637R filter pump.I am having a hard time to vacumn out the dead algea and dont know if the pump is just filtering this back into the pool instead of catching it in the filter. I rinse off the filter every time I vacumn and after running my pump for hours, and the algea is still sitting on the bottom of pool.
Is there any other way to get this dead algea out with the type of pump I have other then vacumning it? How long does it generally take to vacumn dead waste out? I have vacumned it 3 times so far with the new vacumn system we have and it is still there.
I also empty out the water in my pump cylinder to help get rid of the debris that stays floating inside the pump.

Prior to all this , yes I have shocked the system, used algeacide , have stabilizer in there and all tests were good.

I was in your situation last year. I have a 18X48 Intex metal frame pool. My filter is a 1500 gph. You need to get a better vacuum that attaches to your filter pump. I bought the Intex deluxe maintenance kit which is a step up from the old garden hose through the baggie thing. If you get one like this, you can vacuum and instead of running the water back through the pool, you detach the return from the side of the pool, and let it run out on the ground. You will have to work quickly because you will lose some of the water. But the algae will not be reentering your pool.

Ah ok I was thinking about doing that, we dont use the garden hose baggie vacumn they give you , we bought an actual vacumn head and hose and made one and attach it to the water going out spot on the pool but then the prob is it is likely going thru the filter and then back in the pool.Will try like you suggested and let the water go on the ground and then just refill the lost water.The filter we have is a 1000gph.

Also when you talk about the maintance kit is this what your referring too?
http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/Com ... a_7c205645 as all that came with our pool.
well except the better vacumn as I can see now it is not with the garden hose, however all the other items come with our pool and we bought a much better vacumn then this kit offers. Guess we just have to unattach the hose and let the water go on the ground not in the filter.
thanks for your help

Yes, this is the one that I purchased. Sounds like yours is a better model. Last year we tried to vacuum out the algae with the hopes that the filter was going to catch it and we went through that same process of cleaning out the cartridge over and over. Then my husband actually saw some green stuff coming right back through the return. So we knew for sure it was not doing the trick. Good luck with your pool.

I hate to be a spoiler, but the Intex filter might not be up to the job of filtering out the dead algae. The problems are that some water can bypass the filter entirely and the filter itself not being capable of trapping particles that small.

I was in exactly this situation. My solution was to use a "Slim Bag" to filter the water. It worked great.

It feels sort of like felt, but it is clearly synthetic.

http://www.cleanerpools.net/faq.php

They claim to capture particles as small as 1 micron. My particles were fine enough that when I moved the bag around some did come through. The answer was to turn off the pump to the the bag "deflate" and then put a heavy duty plastic bag around the whole thing so I could lift it out of the pool without anything escaping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found some information on these bags online but unfortunately they are NOT sold in Canada only the USA so I will have to order one off ebay to have for next year I guess. For now I have tied a nylon to my inside jet which is catching some of the debris the intex filter is not catching.

katherine47 said:
I found some information on these bags online but unfortunately they are NOT sold in Canada only the USA so I will have to order one off ebay to have for next year I guess. For now I have tied a nylon to my inside jet which is catching some of the debris the intex filter is not catching.
Found a seller for these in Canada can be bought on ebay also from the seller for Canadians.Gonna get me one to check out.

jmills said:
It feels sort of like felt, but it is clearly synthetic.

http://www.cleanerpools.net/faq.php

They claim to capture particles as small as 1 micron. My particles were fine enough that when I moved the bag around some did come through. The answer was to turn off the pump to the the bag "deflate" and then put a heavy duty plastic bag around the whole thing so I could lift it out of the pool without anything escaping.

Good to know for when I do get one to try

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.