liner divots in new pool! Worried...

Jul 30, 2010
We have just finished the install of our pool. We have a vermiculite bottom pool with a liner. Our pool is fairly good sized at 20x50 and 10 ft deep at the deep end. I know that vermiculite is supposed to be 'soft', but I have noticed that some of the minor 'imperfections' on the bottom of the deep end have turned into fairly noticeable divots especially with the light on at night. Are the divots to be expected, or do we have another problem?

Welcome to TFP!!

Small imperfections are to be expected, but not anything like the moon's surface :(

I'd say, call the pool builder ASAP! :hammer: and question the vermiculite - do it SOONER, rather than later so that PB is aware of the problem from the start!

I could name a number of reasons for what you're experiencing, but prefer to see what the PB says first :cool: {hint - I don't think his 'floor crew' is very experienced/ good :cry: }

See what he says :)

Thanks for the advice.

I did talk to the PB today and he told me that some divots were to be expected and that vermiculite will 'settle' and where there may have been air pockets or 'loose' spots, there may be some irregularities on the bottom.

He basically said that there was nothing to worry about and try to enjoy the pool without being an inspector every time I get into the water at night - the light was definately going to show imperfections.

I just don't want this to become a more serious problem, especially since it's 10 ft under water and the liner is less than a month old.

I have to admit that I am a worrier and a bit of a perfectionist...so. this may just be nagging the Crud out of me for nothing.

Imperfections and divots are in my opinion unavoidable. I did mine myself and tried really hard to make is smooth and it looks like a moonscape. I think professionals probably do a better job but no body is perfect.

I will chime in on this one......here is a pic from my build 3 years ago. The people in the pool putting in the floor are the owners of the pool company. They did a fantastic job as you can see from the photo. BUT, when I turn the light on in the pool, it looks just as you described. There are small pockets and it even looks a little wavey at times. Now if they are serious 'pockets' that is a different story, but a little divet here and there is simply the light magnifying the slight imperfections. I thought the same thing the first time we turned the lights on.....so I feel your pain! Any other questions, let me know!

[attachment=0:2otrfmfe]100_0286 (Small).JPG[/attachment:2otrfmfe]

Attachments

• 100_0286 (Small).JPG
    100_0286 (Small).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 184
I'm in a similar situation. I am a bit of a perfectionist also My liner seemed really smooth and almost perfect when the pool was first completed, however I keep discovering small divots that I know weren't there before. I even occasionaly discover a somewhat sharp but really small protrusion like a large grain of sand. Just tonight, the pool light revealed a small divot in the shallow end. I went over to check it out and found it was actually about the size of my heel. So I stepped on it and around it and the pool base just gave in around it and now the divot is much bigger. It seems like there is a soft spot in the base. The base is a mixture of sand and cement rather than vermiculite. How concerned should I be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.