vapool's build

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Pool's been marked by PB, silt fence is up, utilities are being marked and excavation scheduled to start Friday; plumbing, electric and gunite already scheduled for next week, weather permitting. Here's the site so far:
IMG_0023.jpg

More to come!

Well, excavation got started today; went about 2-1/2 feet down and hit rock :( Coming back Monday with the heavy-duty rock borer...keeping our fingers crossed that it's just one helluva boulder...or at least it ends before the deep end!

pool--excavation002.jpg

pool--excavation001.jpg

Please keep us posted on the rock situation. We are starting construction of our new 18x38 IG Vinyl pool 2 weeks from today and I know that we are going to hit limestone. I am anxious to see what method they decide to use to break through the rock for your pool.

hardwareguy

Hardware Guy--Today they came with the backhoe that has the rock borer attached (I'm sure this isn't the real name of it, but hope you know what I mean). We were hoping that once they got through the two visible boulders, that would be about it, but it looks like it's pretty solid bluestone. They worked for about 6 hours and made their way through about 2/3 of the pool (haven't hit the deep end yet!); when the bit broke! Coming back tomorrow with a new bit, and hopefully they'll be able to finish up. They said with the kind of rock we have, blasting would be the best solution, but unfortunately not allowed to...

Good luck with your rock...make sure you have a good pair of earplugs and start buttering up the neighbors (I sent mine a fruit basket from Edible Arrangements!)

As an interesting aside in our adventure, after the work crews left today, the cops showed up. Seems a Bobcat in one of the neighboring construction areas was stolen and they were pretty convinced we had it. Fortunately, serial number didn't pan out!

It sounds like they used a pneumatic breaker attached to the backhoe...pretty much what I will have to use as well. Fortunately, we live in the middle of the boondocks in Indiana and there are no neighbors for about a 1/4 mile or so. The deer will probably not like the sound of the hammer too much.

Thanks for the update...keep the pics coming.

Hardwareguy

Yea, how about a picture.

I hope it isn't costing you that much more. Our pool contract has a specific clause about hitting rock during excavation. We could either pay the additional cost or pony up what's been spent so far, fill in the hole and end the contract. Lucky for us it was smooth sailing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After the excavation from h#$% the steel guys are coming today. Basically, we hit not only rock, but fill clay, which meant they had to dig the entire pool to 11', to where they hit solid ground, then backfill the shallow end with a whole lot of gravel (see "moist clay" post). Took a little more than a week and about $20,000 :shock: but now it should be smooth sailing (at least if anything else unexpected comes up, it won't be at an added cost to us). PB has been great through this whole ordeal, is building us a sheer descent wall at cost since he feels so bad about the excavation expense, and picked up one day's excavation fee (which he didn't have to do, per contract). Here's the finished dig:

excavationdone002.jpg

And a close up of some of the rock that remains...

excavationdone004.jpg

More to come...Thanks for the opp'y to share

wow, thats a kick in the head, um do you keep it at 11' now or are you filling in the deep a little bit to make it 9'. i have never gone through a pool build so i dont know these things.

Lookin' good though, hope it gets finished soon.

It's 11' now, but with steel and gunite it will be about 9'. They just finished steel about an hour ago...only took them about 4 hours; was surprised at how fast it went. Plumbing tomorrow, then a break for inspection and gunite scheduled for next week :)

Gunite today! The gunite guys showed up a little before 6 am and woke me out of a deep sleep, but were done by early afternoon. Finally starting to look like a pool instead of a money pit!

gunite001.jpg

Been a bit chilly the past couple of days, but our neighbor always closes his pool Labor Day weekend. And yeah. we're putting up a 6' privacy fence. Other side of the yard is already done; we've just been waiting for gunite to be done before tearing up the fence on the pool side.

Wow yeah that is looking very nice. My pool was done in January and I don't care what other people said I was going to get in. Wow I tell you it's not bad breaking in the pool when the water is 55 degrees. Your water should be warmer and I'm sure it's feeling like you will be done almost any week. Good luck with the completion.

Oh and be sure to nit pick about everything before they finish. I am still trying to get them to finish up my waterfall because it's leaking a little. Once they are done things take forever, I know like you thought it went slow in construction. So just be sure to get your opinion in on anything before its finished.

Eric

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.