Mustard Algae That Won't Go Away - Bromine Question

Our pool was sparkling clean until about a week and a half ago. I neglected to check the chlorine level for a few days because it was pouring rain outside. When the rain stopped and I checked the pool, the chlorine was at around 1 and there was some yellowish debris on the bottom. I brought the FC up to about 5 and vacuumed up the debris. Over the next few days, the debris returned which we determined to be mustard algae so I upped the FC to about 20. I've kept that level for days but the algae doesn't seem to be going away or getting any better. The pool walls have been brushed and the bottom has been vacuumed. We've cleaned the filter cartridge every other day or so. It's getting frustrating.

Today, I was looking for more info. on mustard algae and I ran across a website that suggested adding bromine (in addition to the chlorine) to the water. Can anyone tell me if this would help? I have a large supply of bromine that came with our hot tub and I'm willing to try just about anything to get the pool back to sparkling clear and swimmable.

Here are the numbers when I tested the water this morning:

FC - 20
PH - 7.8
TA - 180
CYA - 30

I know the TA is a little high, not sure if this is contributing to my problem getting rid of the algae.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Bromine is a bad idea in your situation. It has some value when your CYA level is really high, but at normal CYA levels it just creates excess chlorine demand over what you would otherwise need to use.

Mustard algae will go away completely while you are at shock level. As long as you stay at shock level if you brush it up it will be gone at least until you go back down to normal FC levels. If it is coming back after brushing while you are at shock level then it isn't mustard algae. Many people mistake pollen for mustard algae, they do look similar. Pollen will keep reappearing, even at shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.