Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Material

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Material

I remember reading somewhere that there is a product that can be used in DE filters in place of DE ... but I didn't save the link!

Has anyone used anything other than DE in their DE filters?
    42,525 gallon IG gunite pool with DE filter and spill-over hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

DE is so cheap, why are you interested in a replacement?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

3. Back To Top    #3
    There is something called zeolite or zeobrite. I think it might filter better than DE, but not sure I remember correctly.

You can also add a little of it to cartridge filters to really polish your water, something you cannot do with DE. (you can add either DE or the zeo to a sand filter, however.)

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    I believe the DE alternative is called Filter Aid and it's made of cellulose fiber. I think the claimed advantage over DE is that it's less hazardous to human health (DE can damage lung tissue if it's breathed in; it's otherwise inert and harmless).

Zeolite is NOT a DE replacement. It can be used in place of sand in a sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtV
    ...Zeolite is NOT a DE replacement. It can be used in place of sand in a sand filter.
    Oops, my bad!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Perlite, a type of vocanite mineral, is the other DE substitute available. Both Perlite and cellulose fiber are more expensive than DE and IMHO, offer no real advantage.

7. Back To Top    #7

I was looking for a possible replacement because of health issues, not cost ...
    42,525 gallon IG gunite pool with DE filter and spill-over hot tub.

8. Back To Top    #8

Lisa, just wear a partical mask when handling the DE in it's dry form
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Handling DE powder is probably much less dangerous than handling muriatic acid or even cal hypo, just use common sense and wear a mask.