Is there a "better" thermometer

imcj

May 18, 2010
I was just wondering if one thermometer was more accurate than others or is picking up a thermometer at Walmart just fine? My question comes because I wanted to ask about aeration and cooling off a pool - I figured I would be asked the temp of the water and I don't know. All I know is it's just not enjoyable because the water is warm. The only time we're cool is just as you get out of the pool for the first several minutes. Highs around here lately are about 110+ and lows are 80's. I put my lawn sprinkler on the end of the hose, but that didn't cut it! :cry:

Thermometer suggestions? Aeration suggestions? Thanks.

Brentr said:
You might want to consider this pool-and-spa-thermometer-with-wireless-temperature-sensor-t19328.html
I bought this thermometer at Home Depot for $29.00. Yes it has some issues but it really works great.
Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

Mine is still functioning well after, what 2 or 3 months? I had to move the receiver around a bit for best reception. I keep it in the skimmer. When I purchased mine at HD near me they only had a few and have none now. The HD, on my way to airport, has had a bunch in stock for several months now. As reported by members, in the original thread, some HDs don't have them; some do. It may be regional.

gg=alice

You need more volume and get the water as high as possible in the air. I just assembled a new fountain from PVC and after a lot of trial and error, I got something I'm happy with. Trying to get it as high as possible while keeping most of the water in the pool. The smaller drops were coming down quite cool.

I have a three dollar stainless steel jacketed thermometer from Canadian Tire hanging from my step ladder, I looked through all of them and almost all were the same as the one I picked out for temp reading. I checked it against my calibrated Heise gauge...
http://www.heise.com/Products/calib...l-Display-LCD-Handheld-Digital-Calibrator.cfm
gauge which is accurate to tenths of a degree and it was a half degree out...should have took one that was out from the rest. :lol:

Works fine, I don't need anything more accurate or convenient than this inexpensive product.

I bought one of the Home Depot wireless thermometers today.

It works fine.....except, and this is a big except.....it reads about NINE degrees too low all the time.

Going to call Acu-Rite tomorrow, it may be going back to Home Depot.

4JawChuck said:
I have a three dollar stainless steel jacketed thermometer from Canadian Tire hanging from my step ladder, I looked through all of them and almost all were the same as the one I picked out for temp reading. I checked it against my calibrated Heise gauge...
http://www.heise.com/Products/calib...l-Display-LCD-Handheld-Digital-Calibrator.cfm
gauge which is accurate to tenths of a degree and it was a half degree out...should have took one that was out from the rest. :lol:

Works fine, I don't need anything more accurate or convenient than this inexpensive product.

I'm thinking the same way. I've bought an old fashion analog thermometer those are accurate enough and also the cheapest I could find :wink:

How weird is this? I just called Acu-Rite, and told them my wireless pool thermometer was reading about nine degrees too low. First question she asked was what brand of batteries I was using (I had Walgreen's alkaline). She said they had problems with non-name-brand batteries, and a brand name such as Duracell should fix the problem.

So off to store to get some name brand batteries.

EDIT: I actually had some Eveready AA alkaline batteries at home. So I tried those. Still nine or ten degrees too low. So called Acu-Rite again, and she said they consider Eveready batteries to be generic! So, I bought some Duracell AA alkalines. Still reading nine or ten degrees too low. Back to the phone to call Acu-Rite a third time.

Called third time and Acu-Rite says the thermometer definitely sounds like it is defective (not calibrated correctly at factory in China), since all three sets of batteries read nine or ten degrees too low. She offered to send a new unit out, but I told her I would try an exchange at Home Depot.

EDIT 2: Exchanged unit at Home Depot. New one seems to be working fine.

Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.