Fairly new pool owner looking for the easy way

macgas

Jul 29, 2010
Houston,TX
New home with pool for about 6 weeks. 17000 gal with spa, ozonator with puck feeder. After about a month I thought I had it figured out, the pool was crystal clear, FC was running 2-3 and Boom I got green walls. I had been lurking about on this site but hadn't bought in yet. So now I check the cya and its over 100. I do a partial drain and get it down to 40 and decide to shock to 24 because I also see something funky in the deep end that looks yellow/brown and green about the size of silver dollar. I'm using 10% bleach now and the pool calculator but it is really using alot of chlorine for the first 18 hours will this continue? Also with cya 40 and FC at 24 is it safe to swim?

Your shock FC should be 16 at a CYA of 40 thats per Pool School, sounds like you dosed it pretty good. You can swim at shock levels but I think I would let the chlorine get rid of the organics then continue swimming. Dont forget to brush.

not a big deal really. more is better than less.
You're chlorine is being used up by all the stuff (Algae, etc) in your pool. Once it's gone your usage will level off to something like 1 to 3 ppm per day.

Your pool may get pretty cloudy next. Don't despair. That's all the dead algae waiting to get burned up or filtered out.

Does you pool get a lot of sun? I'm just south of Dallas and my pool gets a good deal of our Texas sizzling sun. My CYA is now between 40-50 but it seems to me that chlorine additions are much more predictable if I keep it 50-60. I purchased 4 lbs yesterday and will start adding, via stocking, in front of return tonight. I lose water to splashout and backwashing and lowering from the on and off multi inch rains we've been having.

BTW...... The Super Walmart, close to me, is either slowing down on stock, for fall (which is really stupid as our pool season goes through September, without heaters) or there is a back order. The Pool Sections, two, were missing a lot of products. I like the HTH Stabilizer/Conditioner as it dissolves so fast. I've been checking our local HD all year and they have the HTH S/C on the shelves for the first time since last summer. I don't know if they ever carried it but surely hope they keep selling it. The price is good at $15 for four lbs; same as Walmart.

gg=alice

Ok this afternoon my FC in 15.5 but I'm shooting for 24. I think one of two possibilities, 1) my pool is larger than I think but I'm using the contract that states how much water my pool will hold. or 2) Something is unsing up the chlorine. The funny thing is the water is clear. It actually looks pretty good. I have brushe the walls and they look better. Why after adding so much liquid chlorine am I not reaching my desired level?

Shocking is a process, not a one time addition of extra bleach. Just be patient and follow the rules on shocking in Pool School. Keep it at shock level (I don't know if you need mustard algae levels or not) until there is 1 FC or less overnight chlorine loss; and no more than .5 CC; and your water is clear. How are you doing your tests?? If you don't have a TF 100 testkit or other kit that has an FAS-DPD test so you can know FC and CC, you will have trouble maintaining the pool long term. Even for my used, $100 pool, it was a terrific investment for me to get a great test kit -- most of us think it essential to really taking control of a pool.

Pool is per contract, mostly, then add the spa, the water in the waterfall, the water in the pipes, the water in the filter.

And something is consuming FC. Sunlight, organics, stuff in the filter, skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.