Solor Lights?

Jun 20, 2010
Southeast VA
Right now my inground pool is being built. I did not get the option for lights. I thought about getting some solar lights to put around the apron. I saw some at Wal-Mart, Westinghouse Solar Spot Lights that are 20x brighter than a regular solar light. Also thought about Fiber Optics, but I think they would be waaay expensive. I'm just trying to keep the cost down, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lights are bug attractors, but it's really not safe to have a pool that can't be lighted. If somebody disappears you really want to be able to flip a switch and see the whole pool.

Look at our pool build in the sig abr. You will see pics of walmart solar lights. They are $20 for a box or 2. They work great for us.

dlduvall said:
We bought white rope lights at Christmas time and used those to outline the concrete and deck around the pool. Also got a solar timer to plug them into. Functional at night but looks cool too.

That's a great idea! Since Christmas items generally go on sale right after the Holidays, that would be a good time to buy some.

I just checked with a local Ace Hardware Store and they have the Celebration Rope Lights in Clear, Blue, Red and green in 18 foot lengths for $9.99. I'm thinking the clear ones would be better.
Do I attach theses on the coping where the vinyl is attached?

Electrical code says that no light shall be closer than 10 feet to the water unless it's designed for submersion. Lights can be 5 feet or greater if the light is 12 feet above the pool. NEC article 680 covers pool electrical. Putting a string of christmas lights around a pool that close to the water is dangerous. I'm just sayin

Lights that are rated for outdoor use are different than what can be used around a pool. Just because its "all over the internet" doesnt make it to code. Do what you want, but the guidlines are no less than 10 feet. That being said, the rule is probably a bit too strict. Lights that are 5 feet or more are probably ok. But I wouldnt put string lights right up next to the water, even with GFI. Too dangerous.

I understand your concern as I have talked to my pool builder about it too. He said there are Fiber Optic lights for pools but basically it's the same thing I want to get but only a lot less.
I don't want to place them in the water but above it some how on the coping. I realize they will get splashed on but no more than what rain water would do anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.