Cubby salt water chlorinator

Jul 29, 2010
This is my first post- and I'm new to pools- I would like some feedback on the Cubby system. It is being recommended to me over the Hayward Aqualite and the price I am being quoted is $1300 Canadian. All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

The Cubby Digital, with an alphanumeric display, is a very nice unit. There is also the regular Cubby, with a knob and a couple of LEDs. Do you know which one they are offering?

Both AutoPilot units (such as the Cubby), and Hayward units (such as the Aqua Rite) are generally well thought of. The Cubby Digital has the alphanumeric display, which is a really nice feature to have. I would prefer the Aqua Rite over the regular Cubby.

There is a new one called the 'Nano'. Jason doesn't recommend it because it is so new, but it looks like it is based on the cubby and it has the same RC-35/22 cell as the 22,000 gallon regular 'Digital'. I already purchased and it is on its way, so I plan to report back as soon as I get it up and running. I am not usually an early adopter, but the price was too good to pass up.

Thank you for the greetings and answer-This is an amazing site and forum. I checked and it is the Cubby digital I am being offered. The feature they were excited about was the autocleaning feature on the Cubby digital which extends the life of the cell and "that the Hayward unit is problematic according to DHI a plumbing firm. They don't fully support their guarantee and problems exist with the cell and the computer in the unit. The cell doesn't auto clean and the computer faults with the flow recognition switch. However they are promoted more."
Anyway that's the sale pitch I've been given and I wanted to know your opinion because Cubby digital is more expensive then Aqua Rite. thanks so much for helping novice.

The alphanumeric display on the Cubby Digital is really nice. It gives you error messages in english, instead of numeric codes, and can tell you things like exactly how much salt needs to be added. It is well worth a little extra money.

The Hayward units have their problems, but no more than other brands. However, I don't know about warranty support in Canada, which could be very different than here in the US. What tends to happen is that more Hayward units get sold than anything else, so people are more aware of the problems. The Hayward units do auto clean, so I'm not sure what that is about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.