Vacation prep with a SWG

Redbull

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2010
GTA, Ontario, Canada
OK, I did a search, but can't seem to find an answer to my question -- How do I prep for a 1-week vacation with my in-ground pool with a SWG?

I do not have my TF-100 test kit yet (I'm in Canada and waiting on shipping/forwarding, will likely be another 2 weeks). Our pump is on a timer and we run it (and the SWG) from 4 am - 6 am then the long stretch is from 10 am to 8 pm. Our current numbers are as follows (measured by strips and a local pool store):

FC: 4
TA: 110
pH: 7.5
CH: 135 (?)
CYA: 30-ish+ (I just added some 2 days ago, so I am waiting to re-test [It was 20 before I added more]).

With the CYA, I know it is low for a SW pool. However, since I don't have my test kit yet, I didn't want to go too high. Eventually I want to aim for 60-80.

Temperatures in the Toronto area are predicted to be in the 30+ degree Celcius (86+ Farenheit) for the next week, with little rain.

Should I just drop the pH and shock before leaving and hope for the best?

We don't really have anyone to watch the pool. My Dad could come by and tell me whether or not it is green... but he is getting old and would be hesitant to do much more.

You shouldn't need to shock if you are confident that the SWCG is keeping up with demand. Your CYA is very low. With an SWCG you could target 70-80 and you wouldn't have to run the SWCG as much.

If you have the SWCG dialed in, you should only have to add acid to get pH down so it doesn't go too high while you are gone.

svenpup said:
You shouldn't need to shock if you are confident that the SWCG is keeping up with demand. Your CYA is very low. With an SWCG you could target 70-80 and you wouldn't have to run the SWCG as much.
Thank you. Yes, I know. I just added some CYA, but I read here that I shouldn't re-test for another week. So, I actually don't know my current number, but I was aiming sort of low as I didn't want to over-shoot. So, either way it is likely not much higher than 50. I don't have a "reliable" test kit and won't have one for a few weeks as I am waiting for shipment to Canada.

svenpup said:
If you have the SWCG dialed in, you should only have to add acid to get pH down so it doesn't go too high while you are gone.

What does this mean... "dialed in"?

I just mean that you haven't had to fiddle with it in a while, and it has been producing enough chlorine to keep your FC at (or above) target. If you were constantly adjusting it, and were having a hard time keeping FC on target, I would be uncomfortable leaving it "in charge"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.