Helping a friend with green, cloudy water....

Hello!

My neighbors pool (intex-24 foot round, 12,000 gallons) is green and very cloudy.

Here are her numbers:
FC- 2.0
CYA - 16
PH - 7.9
TA - 127

She said she added a bag of baking soda about a week ago and has been adding shock and bleach, etc. Was clearish after that. But not sure what "clearish" is because she said it was a little cloudy and I thought it was VERY cloudy. Looks bad.

For that CYA level, it looks like she needs to only add about 2 large jugs of bleach to shock. Does that sound right? Should she add more stablizer (CYA) now or wait until after shocking?

Thanks!

Oh, and she said she uses disposable filters, weekly.
Also, when I went over there I noticed that the water was spraying above the water line. That's probably aerating the water and raising/lowering (can't remember) the ph, right?

Any help as to how to get her pool clear by this weekend would be greatly appreciated! :)

new2pools said:
Oh, and she said she uses disposable filters, weekly.
Also, when I went over there I noticed that the water was spraying above the water line. That's probably aerating the water and raising/lowering (can't remember) the ph, right?

Any help as to how to get her pool clear by this weekend would be greatly appreciated! :)

Chlorine, chlorine and more chlorine, but I doubt you'll get an Intex clear by the weekend. The filter is just too slow.

Maintain the chlorine at shock level by testing and re-dosing hourly until you see very little change, then do the same thing at 4 hour intervals, then 8 hour intervals.

new2pools said:
ok, 2 large jugs, and her FC was 2 this morning! No change in color or cloudiness. ??

Thats what the calculator said to put in approx. How many should she put in today?

Whatever it takes to get to shock level. The important thing is to adjust hourly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.