IntelliChlor

Ok, IC-40 off at 8:00pm last night, pump ran all night.

CL 7.5 at 8:21pm last night

CL 7.5 at 7:00am this morning

Pump off now but will come back on at 9am. I have bumped the IC-40 down to 70% and will check at noon if that sounds like a good plan.

I will backwash this evening, which will require adding tap water afterwards so hopefully that doesn't throw it back off.

Is this a good plan?

Anything else I am missing?

Your FC held overnight, so no organics. Sounds like your stabilizer is was just too low for your pool...or the cell is bad. Why was it just replaced?

I see you run your pump for 8 hrs a day. How many hours are daytime run hours?

You should raise your CYA level up to 60. Use the "sock method".

The IC-40 wasn't making any chlorine (no cell light) at the start of the season. It may have been too cold at the time but my PB should changed it in case it was bad.

All pump hours are during the day.

Shock method with raising the CYA? What do I need to use for this?
frustratedpoolmom said:
Your FC held overnight, so no organics. Sounds like your stabilizer is was just too low for your pool...or the cell is bad. Why was it just replaced?

I see you run your pump for 8 hrs a day. How many hours are daytime run hours?

You should raise your CYA level up to 60. Use the "sock method".

"SOCK" method.

You add the CYA to an old sock - any sock, tube sock, etc. yes, an old sock. Add 2 lbs or so (random number) and tie a knot in the top. Use string to hang the sock so that it dangles in front of your return, where it will dissolve out of the sock. You can also set the sock in your skimmer, off to the side so it doesn't block the water flow.

Using the sock method allows you to clean/backwash as normal without losing CYA.

Don't test for the CYA for 5-7 days after adding it, it can take that long for it to register. Leave the pump running while it's dissolving.

Sock...like the things people wear on their feet...I get it... :-D

So according to the Pool Calculator, I need 54oz of stabilizer and I assume something like Leslie's Conditioner is just fine??????

frustratedpoolmom said:
"SOCK" method.

You add the CYA to an old sock - any sock, tube sock, etc. yes, an old sock. Add 2 lbs or so (random number) and tie a knot in the top. Use string to hang the sock so that it dangles in front of your return, where it will dissolve out of the sock. You can also set the sock in your skimmer, off to the side so it doesn't block the water flow.

Using the sock method allows you to clean/backwash as normal without losing CYA.

Don't test for the CYA for 5-7 days after adding it, it can take that long for it to register. Leave the pump running while it's dissolving.

DFW, TX. 100 degess most days but in the low 90's all this week.
bk406 said:
That will work.
i'm still not convinced it's your stabilizer. 50 ppm should allow that IC-40 in that size of pool to make enough chlorine to at least get it to 3-4 ppm. What part of the country do you live in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went ahead and pulled the filter and properly cleaned it. That Phosfree was a nasty mess on the filter, it was so heavy I could barely carry the darn thing. Pressure back down by 11psi, 4 lbs of CYA added to pool.

It took me a couple of hours to do everything so the pump was off. A very hot and sunny day so I checked the chlorine again before turning the pump back on. A good solid 6.0 ppm.

I may be good to go now. Thanks for all the help.

I just kinda skimmed over this thread, and didn't see anywhere anyone addressing the IC40 cell. I did see that it had been replaced only 4 mo ago. Did the pool builder replace with a ver 1.9 cell? Those were problematic, and your replacement cell should be a Ver. 2.0, or your problems may be another bad cell. Worth a check.

Just my 2 cents...

Interesting.

Where do I find the version listed?

Just as an update, my Chlorine is now 6 ppm with the IC at 50% and a pump time of 9 hours. I am slowy turning it down each day. Water is awesome looking.
Pool Clown said:
I just kinda skimmed over this thread, and didn't see anywhere anyone addressing the IC40 cell. I did see that it had been replaced only 4 mo ago. Did the pool builder replace with a ver 1.9 cell? Those were problematic, and your replacement cell should be a Ver. 2.0, or your problems may be another bad cell. Worth a check.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks, I will check today.

Just for the record; the IC40 is now at 35% and chlorine is 5.5 so I guess I don't have an issue with the IC.

I am really glad that I got on this site and learned more about taking care of my own pool.
Pool Clown said:
Easiest way to find out is to look at the lights that flash when power is first applied (pump turns on) If you have red, yellow, green lights, it's a ver 1.9 . If you only have two, red and green, it's a ver 2.0

When it rains it pours?

Now that I got the IC issue all worked out, I came home to a new issue yesterday evening.

Walked out to check on pool and my pump was off. I thought "that's strange, the pump should be on".

Whet to the control panel, clicked it on and nothing. Checked the breakers, tried it again and I got a 5 second "hum" then a "click" and then nothing.

Called PB and he said "Yep...it's fried". They are bringing out a new one tomorrow.

I guess I will just watch the chlorine and circulate with my water features (?) and add bleach when needed, it's is going to get up to 105-107 today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.