DE flowing into pool on startup

norbie

Aug 21, 2007
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all....I am currently having a problem with my Hayward EC65 DE filter. The filter has been working great all summer until I recently cleaned the filter and recharged it. When I try to precoat the filter most of the DE will flow through the filter and into the pool via the return lines. Ive done this process many times without any problems in the past. I replaced the check valve but the same result happened. I dismantled the filter and visually inspected the Tube Sheet, Diaphragm gasket, and the flex tubes. All these parts are in excellant shape (filter 1.5 yrs old). I'm currently at a standstill and have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

The handle does not move up by its self but it doesnt feel right when I do try to bump it.
I did dismantle the filter to take a closer look at the fingers and tube sheets and again they look ok. I did replace the diaphragm gasket and check valve along with the o ring at elbow assembly. After doing this I am still getting DE in through my return lines. When I start the filter for about 10 to 20 seconds you can see the DE going into the pool than it stops. My pump pressure is steady at about 11psi.
I'm very confused and frustrated at this point, Ive taken the filter apart about 6 different times and I really dont know what to do next.

Thank you for your response it is greatly appriciated :?:

Norbie, I'll go out on a limb here (it's a very thick limb and I think it'll support my weight) :wink:

Take the filter apart again :x and look at the shaft which passes through the tube sheets.

Are the washers and 'E' clips in place both top and bottom? [as the handle doesn't rise when the pump is on, I suspect one or more is missing]

If one is missing, check the shaft for all 3 shaft rings, one seals the bottom plate _ I'm thinking that it is either missing or the 'E' clip was gone.

I work on about 100 of these / year and that's my best guess. Please keep me/ us informed

Believe it or not both clips/washers and all 3 o rings on the shaft are in place but to my amazement (very embarrassed) the diaphragm gasket was not installed in between the two tube sheets. I was really excited to find this thinking this would fix the problem.....After putting the filter back together I tried to recharge it and for about 10 seconds the DE was still going through the returns. It doesnt last as long but if i turn off the filter, when i turn it back on DE returns to the pool for about 10 seconds....
At least I see progress. (trying to stay a little upbeat)

Norbie, sorry for the delay :oops: The only way DE can be getting back into the pool is by bypassing the 'nest' there has to be a small hole in one (or more) of the fingers or the tube sheets (check bottom first) cracked or a failed o- ring (the one that seals the bottom tube sheet would be my first choice). I cannot see any other way for the De to be entering the pool :( What you may have to do is remove all 100 tubes and inspect them :shock: It must be a small thing, because the DE eventually clogs the path that is leaking, if you had lots of De returning to the pool, the problem would be easier to spot.

Thats what I was afraid of. I will do the visual inspection of each individual finger and go from there. I really appreciate all the info and time you spent for me on this issue.

Thank you very much :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.