Is this calcium scaling?

sb127

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Dallas, TX
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so mods please move the thread if there is a better place for it.

Anyway....our pool was built this year & filled in late April. If my memory serves me correctly, I noticed these two white areas back in May. They haven't grown or shrunk over the past few months. Does it look like calcium scaling or some other remnant that might have been left over from construction? If it is calcium scaling, what is the best way to spot treat it? These are the only two spots in the entire pool.

This first area is on the spa spillway. Right in the middle of the picture, between the brown and gray stones.

IMG_0602.jpg

This second area is where the base of the rock waterfall meets the waterline tile. Pretty much in the middle of the picture as well.....three spots.

IMG_0603.jpg

This is what mine looks like.

Efflorescence. This is minerals leaching out from the mortar between the stones. It can be removed with a very dilute acid mixture. Use care during this process as you can easily remove more than you need to.

Attachments

• scale2edit.JPG
    scale2edit.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 109
Sorry for leaving that out.

1 part muriatic acid to ten parts water. Stiff brush (no metal). Be very careful. Rinse the area well with water when you are finished.

257WbyMag said:
Sorry for leaving that out.

1 part muriatic acid to ten parts water. Stiff brush (no metal). Be very careful. Rinse the area well with water when you are finished.

I assume I would do the 1:10 ratio mix in a spray bottle, right? Spray it on there. Brush. Wash.

If I leave it alone and do nothing, should it get worse? Or would it ever go away on it's own?

I would just put mine in a plastic cup and use a dishwashing brush. Dunk the brush in there and scrub it gently (don't get any in your eyes!!!). Rinse when finished.

I will go after mine a couple of times per year. It always comes back and I couldn't tell you why really. But the CH of the pool water doesn't have anything to do with it. I have had a negative CSI for a long time and yet I still get this. Below the waterline though, there is nothing. My CH runs about 225 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.