thinking of upgrading my pool a little

G

ok help me along in this, but i was figuring on adding and changing some stuff.

what i want to do

change the filter and pump, what do you think is the best?
intelliflo 4X160
northstar 2 hp these are what i am looking at, are these good or are there better ones out there

filter

quad D.E.â„¢ Cartridge Style Filter. is de better though?

would like to automate it all with this too
IntelliTouch® - ScreenLogic®
EasyTouch® Systems

auto clorinator

- IntelliChlorâ„¢ Chlorine Generator

Maybe a ThermalFloâ„¢ Heat Pump, but i would like one that cools too, my pool got to 94 on some days and i went to seven eleven to buy bags of ice.

i would also like to add a cozy cove spa

would i need a seperate pump and if i did would another 4x160 be good and with a blower or would just a blower be good.

thanks for your help, but my equipment is starting to show its age and i think it may be time to upgrade, it is the orig equipment. from 1986

i am also going to have all the grounding and bonding replaced.

Can you tell us a little bit more about your goals? Did you dislike the sand filter or just feel it is time for a change? Do you want more water movement? Or trying to save money on electricity?

I think of the Intelliflo 4X160 as wonderful for someone who likes to learn all about the pump and adjust the settings themselves. If you want something that simply works without thinking about it I would go with a two speed whisperflo.

JasonLion said:
Can you tell us a little bit more about your goals? Did you dislike the sand filter or just feel it is time for a change? Do you want more water movement? Or trying to save money on electricity?

I think of the Intelliflo 4X160 as wonderful for someone who likes to learn all about the pump and adjust the settings themselves. If you want something that simply works without thinking about it I would go with a two speed whisperflo.

well my goals are that my pump is old, the water stays clear and it moves well but my sand is 8 years old and teh filter is from 1986 as well as the pump, i think that a 4x160 would be good for the spa attached to the pool, i would like a filter that filtered better and didn't require me to change the sand out, water movement is fine but only if i shut off one of the returns, and i shut off the one that is down 5 feet and is supposed to circulate better and if i have all four open i get alot less movement, i still get movement but not much, i guess the only reason i would upgrade my pump is for the spa and i figured i might as well go the whole 9 yards on it.

saving money would be great, it adds 75 dollars a month to my bill, and i dont have a heater yet but would like a cooler too, and i would like to get that shock fixed, i have not let any body swim because of what you guys told me and i miss it so i want it fixed.

if i get a heater i would like one that is really efficient, i dont want to use a solar cover because we have little ones and all the horror storries i have herd i said NO THANK YOU so is there an alternative to solar.

thunder,

Changing the sand is an unnecessary task. Many folks go ten years without changing. Mine is five years old and I haven't opened the filter in two years....works perfect. I may add some sand next year, if it needs it, but I plan on NEVER changing.

A single Intelliflo 4X160 should be able to handle everything. One of it's big advantages is that you can dial in exactly how much water movement you want to have. The Intelliflo won't nessessarily save as much electricity as they make out in their ads but it will be reasonably efficent.

A separate blower will get you more bubble activity in the spa than the pump alone, but venturi jets are quite good without a blower.

Each kind of filter has advantages and disadvantages. Sand is the simplest to maintain but lets the largest amount of stuff through. DE is the most work to maintain but filters the finest. Cartridges are close to DE in filtering and in between in maintinance. One trick is to add a little DE to a sand filter, which gets it into the fine filtering range of a cartridge filter with only a little added maintinance.

There is a specific level inside the filter that the sand should come up to, different for each model of filter. Over many years you can lose some sand and if it falls too much below the design level more should be added. Checking this requires opening up the filter, which requires some mechanical inclination. If such things don't bother you it is a good idea to open up the filter every say two years and make sure everything is alright, remove any large bits of debris that found their way inside, and gently break up any clumping.

ok, so i am thinking about ordering the following.

Intelliflo 4x160

COzy cove spa http://www.hydrapools.com/cozycove/

DE filter- i like that it filters the best

blower for the spa- like the bubbles

may skip the heater for now but if i dont- here is what i will get- AquaCal ICEBREAKER-H155R

i like my auto clorinator and dont need a new one so i may keep the one i have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.