Salt Level

JimW

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2007
Chino Hills, CA
I have a Pentair SWG and it has been given me readings of Low Salt (2750ppm) and on occasion will switch to really low salt (2400ppm) and the unit will turn off.

The unit is less than a year old and it has always given low readings, but since it was installed in the winter I figured the cold temps affected the reading. I had not really paid attention because the unit would still run, but now at times it will actually shut down because of the salt reading.

I have been using Aquacheck test strips and they always give me a reading of 3300-3500ppm. Also, I have taken 2 water samples to the local Leslies and those seem to match my readings ( although they use test strips too.)

Are the test strips reliable or is there a drop based test? Or could my SWG have problems?

Thanks, Jim

You don't need to take apart the cell, just turn the pump off, open the unions on either end, and look at the plates through the union. If there is scaling there will be obvious white deposits on at least some of the plates. If there are it needs to be cleaned. If there aren't then the problem lies elsewhere.

I tried the recalibrating based on the website listed earlier, but it does not seem to save the settings. The next time I power on the filter and SWG it is back to low salt and very low salt readings. I have put a call into Pentair for service on the unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.